hard shift 1st and 2nd - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
hard shift 1st and 2nd
Thursday, October 02, 2014 10:05 AM
hey all, 04 sunfire 5 speed. shifts fine 3rd-5th and reverse but wont go into gear in 1st and 2nd unless i slap the shifter hard to the left, then it slides in no problem. i know the ring cap that holds the actual shifter in place is worn as there's a fair bit of play in neutral and in gear. would the worn cap cause this issue or is this more a cable issue?

Re: hard shift 1st and 2nd
Thursday, October 02, 2014 11:01 AM
I had the shifter hold down wear out and it would fight going into any gear years ago.

my fix was to trim down a PVC drain ferrule (like a 1.5" one) to fit over the ball and then SHOVED the hold down ring on it and its stiff as a diamond in an ice storm now. lol.

Id guess that when trying to go to first the ball of the shifter is coming up and not pushing the cable enough to get it to find the gear. That was my issue.

It was like 6 years ago but i think that pushing down on the whole shifter while moving left to go to first made it easier which helped diagnose the problem.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Re: hard shift 1st and 2nd
Thursday, October 02, 2014 5:12 PM
well thats what i am thinking is the issue (shifter ball is rising and not allowing the shift), just wanted to get a solid confirmation before i go searching for a new shifter assembly.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search