clutch nightmare please help!!!! - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
clutch nightmare please help!!!!
Tuesday, October 07, 2014 6:44 PM
ok so heres the deal, walked out to my car after work to find that it would not go into gear (98 sunfire gt 2.4L 5 speed). i bleed the clutch in the parking lot and drive it home just fine. walk out there the next morning, same problem. bleed and repeat. it drives. i get it home and restart and same damn thing happened again. at this point i know it has to be sucking air in the line somewhere. i clamp the hose at the point where it connects to the reservoir to eliminate that possibility. i check under the dash as well looking for wet spots, nothing. no fluid leak in the engine compartment, none under the dash. bleed and still it sucks in air somewhere without leaking fluid. what the hell????????

Re: clutch nightmare please help!!!!
Tuesday, October 07, 2014 8:57 PM
Sounds like a slave going bad

"If I'm not back in 5 minutes...just wait longer"
Wednesday, October 08, 2014 11:28 AM
If its the slave you wpuld see a drip under the tranny.
or at least a wet spot were its leaking out. Very plausible.

But before you dig into the innards of the car try replacing the actual reservoir.
some j bodys in the 00-02 for sure come with a different style of reservoir. Its a rubber hose and cap instead of pressure fit plastic know to leak and get plugged up!

It happened to me and we only figured it out after changing a clutch kit and slave and master and then a second slave......

Just the freaking resevoire it was clogged and would notallow proper ppressure to flow wich cause a slave failure wich sucked in air and killed my master.

My two cents
Wednesday, October 08, 2014 6:53 PM
cant be the slave its brand new
Wednesday, October 08, 2014 7:14 PM
Just because there's no sign of leakage on the outside, doesnt mean air isnt getting in the line. Thats what was wrong with my buddy 98. No visible leaks, just had to rebleed it once in awhile before we swapped his clutch.

"If I'm not back in 5 minutes...just wait longer"
Thursday, October 09, 2014 3:58 AM
yeah i have a brand new clutch, pressure plate, slave and master cylinder. the only thing that isnt freakin new at this point is the actual tranny itself
Thursday, October 09, 2014 2:31 PM
If everything is brand new and brand new = cant be the problem, then there is noting wrong. I have installed new slaves that were faulty, but I would expect to see some fluid on a low point of the system. I would lean towards there being and issue with the clutch master or a fitting not quite right.

Saturday, November 01, 2014 7:35 AM
just because its new, doesnt mean its good! my slave went 2 days after i replaced the entire clutch system!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search