Fuel level sending unit interchange? Help please! - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Fuel level sending unit interchange? Help please!
Thursday, October 09, 2014 5:10 PM
Okay, so the fuel gauge has been messed up on my 1999 cav since the day I got it a year and a half ago. The gauge reads fine from full until about 1/4 tank, at which point it slowly begins moving back toward full. When the car is completely empty, it reads completely full. It is extremely annoying and problematic. It seems to me like it is a problem with the sending unit.

So I picked up a fuel pump module from my local wrecking yard, and I am attempting to rebuild it with a high flow pump, and a new sending unit, and then I can just drop my tank and put the new module in.

However, I have hit a problem. The fuel level sensor that I purchased online is a completely different shape and uses a completely different style of attachment than the unit that is on the fuel pump module.
Does anyone know what year(s) sending unit to use on a 1999? Were the fuel pump modules the same from the factory, or did they change the way that the sender is attached? Perhaps I got the wrong module from the parts yard?..

If anyone has any input on this, I would really appreciate it!!!!

Re: Fuel level sending unit interchange? Help please!
Thursday, October 09, 2014 5:38 PM
Does anyone know of any way to purchase a new sending unit for a 1999, without shelling out the 250+ that they want for a stock replacement fuel pump module?
Thursday, October 09, 2014 5:52 PM
I'm looking on eBay, and I see sending units that are the same shape as the one I have in my hand (square), but they are listed as 2000 and up, whereas the one listed for a 1999 is triangular. So what do you guys think, do I need to go back to the junkyard and get the correct module for my year?
Thursday, October 09, 2014 9:34 PM
Check this link http://www.rockauto.com as they carry generally good stuff for LOW cost.Since I am not 3rd gen know all I looked there on the sending units and they carry each piece you might need.There sending units are at 136.00 ta da.

Friday, October 10, 2014 6:02 AM
Nope, no dice there. The level sensor that they list is the triangular style with the clip on top. The "sending unit" that is listed for $136 is the entire fuel pump assembly. Does anyone else have any information on this?
Friday, October 10, 2014 4:14 PM
Plastic tank get one fore a 2000+. Metal tank get one for a 95-99. 99 was a transition year from metal to plastic.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Sunday, December 14, 2014 2:57 PM
got to love transition year cars. I have a question for you, what fuel pump did you get and do you have the part number? I have been looking everywhere for one that would work no dice. way too many threads here on it with no good info. as for your problem you do know they sell the whole tank fuel pump set-up for around $300 dollars.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search