The famous warped dash of the second generation Cavaliers: Solved!! - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
The famous warped dash of the second generation Cavaliers: Solved!!
Wednesday, September 10, 2014 8:17 AM
So, I've read many posts on here about the warped dashes of the second generation j-body cars. I have a 91 Cavalier RS convertible of which I am the original owner. The warped dash was unavoidable. I have always cared for the car, kept it inside or covered with a custom fit car cover. The dash still curled up at the defrost vent area, a bit down the main body of the dash, and extending over to the speaker covers. I have looked online for years for a solution to the problem. The dash itself is no longer manufactured. And who would want one because it would warp again anyways? There are no used dashes available that aren't themselves warped. So, what have people done? Tried to take on massive fiberglass dash creation projects and other complex solutions. I got quoted for a fiberglass dash with a price that was greater than the value of the car at the time. so I think most people have just gotten a cheesy looking dash pad cover and left it alone. Well, I finally found a solution.

Basically:
1. Using a box cutter, cut a straight line though the dash vinyl across the main body of the dash, behind the instrument cluster but below the warped areas. You will find that the dash has only a thin rubber/vinyl over a thin foam and cellophane. It comes right off. Thankfully, below it is a solid metal dash structure. So now you have a bare metal area where it was warped and below it you have the vinyl that may still be there that you didn't cut. Don't cut the whole dash out as you want to have the lower vinyl in place to make it meet the dash you will create.
2. Using "the good stuff" insulation foam that you buy at Lowe's or Home Depot, spray a layer of foam across the cut out portion in a slow, deliberate manner. Make sure you don't spray it down into the defrost vents. It should look like you are trying to put a thin stream of whip cream across a giant ice cream sundae layer by layer. You must let it harden for several hours. Put the car in the sun to make it work faster. The objective is to create a foam layer and then carve it into the shape and thickness of the foam and vinyl that was there before.
3. Once the foam bubbles up (quite high and silly looking) and hardens, using a long serrated knife, carve the foam away to form a "reconstructed dash". If you mess up, no problem, just re-foam that area. Keep foaming, letting it harden, and carving until you get it how you want it.
4. Harden the foam by coating it with polyurethane. I am using regular polyurethane that you would use on hardwood floors, and letting it harden in the sun naturally. It takes multiple coats a the foam absorbs the liquid like a pancake and syrup.
5. Once it is hard, light sanding can smooth it down. It doesn't need to look perfect, because you will cover it. It is important to harden it as you want to re-cover it with vinyl.
6. Go to your local upholstery shop and get an automotive-use vinyl to match your existing dash. Also get extreme temp contact cement or vinyl adhesive spray.
7. Cut the vinyl to the appropriate shape to fit the curvature of the dash where it meets the glass. Work it in without adhesive until you get a perfect fit. Once you have achieved perfect fit, gently lift the vinyl starting at one side and apply adhesive. Work across the dash. Then slowly work down, adhering and smoothing as you go. You will need to trim the vinyl to fit into the "seams" of the lower dash area.

** You will see that on the second generation j-body cars there is a "seam" that runs along speaker boxes, just behind instrument panel, and below the main part of dash (in pocket that runs above stereo console etc. As you get the vinyl down to the area, adhere it and cut it along the seam.

Photos: in these photos, I have not yet done the vinyl work. Still waiting on the delivery of the materials. Will post pics when I get them. You can't tell in the pictures, but the foam is now very rigid and I will continue to add more polyurethane so that the vinyl adheres nicely. I also have yet to cut the defrost vent holes, I'm creating a special cookie-cutter that matches the shape of the vent covers. Will post pics of finished product.
Attachments
photo 3.JPG (87k)
photo 2.JPG (125k)
cavalier 1.jpg (71k)
photo 1.JPG (99k)
photo 4.JPG (102k)

Re: The famous warped dash of the second generation Cavaliers: Solved!!
Wednesday, October 22, 2014 6:38 PM
Looks like a really good method. I'm looking forward to seeing the final results.
Thanks for sharing this with us.
Saturday, November 08, 2014 1:01 PM
I'm still in the midst of this project. Luckily, I have a few other cars to drive in the meantime. I had to have somebody come and remove the windshield because as I was putting the vinyl in with the extreme-temp adhesive, I just couldn't get it tight enough between the window and the foam dash I created. With the window out I have re-sprayed the foam to make a better form and to re-cut the vent holes for the defrost, which I was not happy with. Will post more pics as I progress.
Sunday, November 16, 2014 3:26 PM
Ok, I have finished this dash project. I learned some things along the way. First of all, it's impossible to do a good job without taking the windshield out. You simply can't cut the vent holes with the windshield in and it's hard to sand and get the surface near smooth. As far as the foam surface goes, it suffices, but it's not perfect. I attempted to harden the foam with polyurethane over a month or so. Applying it, letting it dry, sanding, applying again, sanding, etc. etc. It worked alright.

Bottom line: my dash looks a hell of a lot better than it did. And since there are NO replacement dashboards being produced, and you can't find one that isn't also warped, what choice did I have? Pics provided.
Attachments
photo 1.JPG (110k)
photo 2.JPG (116k)
photo 3.JPG (127k)
photo 4.JPG (112k)

Sunday, November 16, 2014 3:31 PM
These photos show how I used a commercial dash cover (for a 91 cavalier) as a template to cut the vinyl where it curves at the top of the dash and also the adhesive I used to put the vinyl down.
Attachments
glue.JPG (111k)
template.JPG (99k)

Thursday, November 20, 2014 3:11 PM
Final results. Window back in, dash complete. Just need to put the wipers back on, in the process of painting and clearcoating them.
Attachments
dashfinal.jpg (62k)

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search