Torque converter noise? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Torque converter noise?
Monday, October 27, 2014 7:52 PM
Okay so Ive noticed for the past few months a slight chatter/knock while the car is idling in traffic. (1999 2.2L auto 4spd.) My lower engine mount was shot and originally thought it might just be the sound where the engine was vibrating so much. Of course after installing my new rksport mount the chatter persisted in idle in drive and reverse never in park. Finally got the slethoscope out after not being able to find any thing loose or rattling in the engine bay. So sounds like the noise is coming from the from of the tranny.
It seems to me the TC may be on its was out. many years ago when my gf daily drove it on a few occasions it started slipping horrible bad and I changed fluid/ filter and added some lucas and its held together decently surprisingly for a long time. I notice it slips slightly now with engine cold and the noise is noticeable when engine is warm.
Anyone else have a TC go bad with these noise symptoms? Also anyone have any idea how much longer it may possibly hold out? Im really hoping to limp it thru winter so I want have to drive camaro in the cold lol. Hopefully with spring taxes I can get my Z24 revived.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search