Possible thermostat problem? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Possible thermostat problem?
Wednesday, October 29, 2014 8:46 PM
First post here in the forums WOO! ok. '99 cav 2.2 sfi rs. car runs alright just rolled 200k miles. temp and coolant levels are fine when driving normal, but when you run it a little like flooring it 0-60 the car dumps all the coolant. fill it up, and drive normal everything is fine, my friend though it might be the thermostat? When it happened, I parked it let it cool for a few hours, filled it up, and drove about 20 miles, stopping every 5 miles checking levels and temp of hoses and everything is good. Thoughts?

Re: Possible thermostat problem?
Thursday, October 30, 2014 5:25 AM
When you say "dump" the coolant, how much are you losing? just whats in the overflow tank? Can you see where any has leaked from?

Thursday, October 30, 2014 6:18 AM
How much coolant are you losing and how fast are you losing it? Coolant just doesn't disappear it is either leaking somewhere or going into your oil.
Thursday, October 30, 2014 7:39 AM
Its not in the oil, and i ended up having to put a half jug of anti freeze in it, and i lost it in about 10 minutes. but like I said, this only happens when im pushing the car hard.
Thursday, October 30, 2014 7:48 AM
Did you have any air in the system by chance? Has this only happend once or multiple times? It has to be going somewhere.
Thursday, October 30, 2014 7:56 AM
It has only happened twice. since then it hasnt done it. I am unsure if there is/was air in the system. should i take the res cap off and tap the bottom of the radiator to try and work any air bubbles out?
Thursday, October 30, 2014 9:12 AM
I was asking because it is possible that once the thermostat opened it could have burped some air out causing your fluid level in the reservoir to drop. Keep your eye on it and if you keep losing coolant then I'm putting money on an elusive leak somewhere.
Thursday, October 30, 2014 5:45 PM
on my 99 Z it would do something very similar but with oil. drive it for months babying it and it wouldnt leak anything. 1 good 0-60 and half a quart of oil was gone. Believe it was my head gasket that was giving me that problem. But like RED it also sounds like the coolant system burping the air out if it only did it twice.

Thursday, October 30, 2014 10:03 PM
Yeah, I purchased a rebuilt motor from a very good friend for $150 with a fresh build on the trans as well. After my more knowledgeable friend looked at my car it is most likely head gasket. but I got a motor just incase things get hinky and its worse than we think. and if its just the head gasket then i'll save the motor and work on building it up for when i do need it. Driving today my coolant and oil went to a milk shake consistency.
Friday, October 31, 2014 4:24 AM
Yup thats a head gasket.
Saturday, November 01, 2014 5:44 PM
dang that sucks. Hate that it turned out to be that.

Sunday, November 02, 2014 12:56 PM
Got the head gaskets replace. changed oil, refilled the coolant. went for a test drive and all my water dumped out again, no leaks when its idling, no leaks when its just sitting, but when in drive. I'm changing the thermostat and gasket tomorrow, try again and probly change the water pump Also discovered the relay for my fan is burnt up so getting a new relay so my fan will actually kick on as well.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search