If you have a 2.4L... - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
If you have a 2.4L...
Friday, November 07, 2014 6:01 AM
Can you go bang top down on the IDI cover using the side of your fist pretty hard and tell me if there is a rattle from the timing chain area?

Lol just curious before I remove the timing cover and take a peek. I think I might have something that failed in there because my car has excess vibration and that's the only area I can tell so far that makes noise with all my banging around examining potential sources of vibration/noise. The chain/guides/tensioner are from 2008 so they've been through a lot, and I've wheel hopped pretty intensely recently and shift hard, so who knows.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero

Re: If you have a 2.4L...
Friday, November 07, 2014 6:40 AM
If it's auto have someone hold the brake and put it in park, reverse, drive while you watch how much the engine rocks in the bay. It's probably just a bad mount.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, November 07, 2014 9:46 AM
I'm not new to this platform, lol. It's definitely not any of the engine/trans mounts.

It's a manual, hence why I mentioned the wheel hop and hard shifting as a potential cause to whatever is wrong. It's definitely an internal rattle of some sort, just wondering if it's something new I'm noticing or if they all do that. So anyone with a 2.4L, please hit your engine and let me know how it sounds.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Friday, November 07, 2014 9:50 AM
Didn't even look at the user name. My apologies, good sir

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, November 07, 2014 2:25 PM
Damn I tapped things with a rubber mallet and it went away and now I can't make it make the rattle again lol.

When I rotate the crank by hand back and forth I don't hear anything weird from the chain area. Who knows, maybe everything is fine and my vibrations lie elsewhere. I haven't driven it since I tried dampening a few things in the bay that were touching hard objects.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Friday, November 07, 2014 4:06 PM
Highly likely it's the timing chain tensioner. These are good for about 80k miles. Anything over this is a gift. Also could be the water pump. Best to replace both when in there.
Friday, November 07, 2014 7:01 PM
Have a listen, I got video just before it quit making the noise lol.

I pinpointed my vibration issue though, it's the horribly warped v-band on my downpipe as I originally suspected. Easy fix.
Still, curious what this was. Can't reproduce it anymore, just was a random observation that one time.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search