01 z24 slow power steering leak - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
01 z24 slow power steering leak
Friday, November 07, 2014 4:03 PM
ok so I'm loosing power steering fluid at about a couple oz.s a week. I can't see a wet spot anywhere and took the car to a local mech. They were unable to find a leak. They said the rack was free of leaks but still I have to top off the resi. About once a week. I can smell the fluid pretty strong from the engine compartment. But it's not getting on anything that will make it smoke. My only thought is that it's the pump and its leaking from it and running down to the ground? Anyone had problems with the pump on a 01 2.4L ? Engine just rolled to 100k miles. It's a one owner car I bout in brand new in 01. Thanks in advance

Re: 01 z24 slow power steering leak
Friday, November 07, 2014 8:30 PM
I would degrease the engine bay with a foamy engine cleaner and let it dry.Then recheck the fluid level weekly.Normally ps units do not burn the oil it will soley leak.If your adding fluid routinely there is a leak somewhere could be even just a pin hole in a hose or around the gear box that is not obvious if a slow leak.Clean the area and run your hand over the hoses,and gear box for the greasy check.Just a simple do it yourself to find the problem.

Re: 01 z24 slow power steering leak
Saturday, November 08, 2014 6:32 PM
Ron,
I degreased that area of the engine/top of tranny last week. I have been over the hoses and rack and see or feel no wet spots. I'm wondering if it's leaking around the seal on the side where it attaches to the intake cam for its PTO. I think I'm gonna replace the pump and just see if that's it. It's time to start grasping at straws at this point. As I said I have even taken it to a trusted shop and was told that no leaks could be found. At any rate it's slow enough that it's not making it to the ground. Any how that's for the reply. I will update the thread once I find it.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search