1987 headlight switch - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1987 headlight switch
Monday, November 10, 2014 9:10 PM
Hi,

Both low beams suddenly just quit working as I was driving my 1987 4 door. I was told there is no fuse and that it was the switch causing the problem. Can somebody please tell me how to get to the headlight switch in to replace it. Do i have to take out the cluster. I pulled off the trim below the steering wheel, but that didn't help. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: 1987 headlight switch
Monday, November 10, 2014 9:25 PM
On your headlight switch is it mounted down towards the kick panel (not at that spot but) close? I know the coupes had the push button up close to the cluster which is easy to remove.If you have that knob style is has a retaining clip holding it in I know that for sure.Better yet just repost your question in the 1st gen forum to my question in reponse and I know the guys who have the setup like yours can def answer that.My 85 is a coupe and the switch is totally different.I am not sure your switch to turn the lights are the real problem but more than likely the assembly under the steering wheel needs to be cleaned 1st then if nothing replace that.While actual switch to turn on the lights might just be worn out the high beam stalk works in conjunction with the lights and may have worn contacts even though your low beams work off the switch.Btw do your high beams work?Just answer all this in a NEW post in the first gen forum.Ron Kind of tired and might have rambled on too much but either way it is either one of two items I said.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search