no start,anti theft light on(please help) - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
no start,anti theft light on(please help)
Saturday, November 15, 2014 7:15 PM
My 2.2L 5speed 1997 cavalier doesn't want to start, please help.

The anti theft light stays on while I'm trying to start it sometimes. What do I do?
I left the key on the 'on' position with the anti theft light on for 5 minutes and it still didn't want to turn itself off.

please help me

Re: no start,anti theft light on(please help)
Sunday, November 16, 2014 11:01 PM
Do some research into permanently bypassing the Passlock 2 system. All you need is a resistor and a bit of soldering.
Thursday, November 20, 2014 6:13 AM
the starter kept turning with the key removed!

a friend replaced the starter and it still does this, what could be wrong?
Tuesday, November 25, 2014 7:55 PM
If you don't already have your answer, I may be able to help. I have seen this problem before after I replaced my ECU in a 1999 2.4L, but I'm confident the process is the same. If you get a new key, keyless entry, ignition, or ECU, sometimes you are required to "teach" your computer.

Remove the key from the car
Disconnect your negative battery terminal for 10 minutes.
Reconnect the battery.
Put the key in the ignition and turn to the ACC position BUT do NOT try to start the car. Wait 10 minutes, and not a second sooner - and turn the key back to the OFF position (The antitheft light should go out/stop blinking after the 10 minutes expires so you can do this without a watch)
Now turn the key back to the ACC position again and DO NOT attempt to start it. Wait another 10 minutes.
Now turn the key off again, and turn it back to the ACC position, but this time, after waiting 10 minutes, START the car.

The whole process will take you 40 minutes if you don't waste any time. If you try to cut corners, you'll end up starting over.
I believe the reason behind this lengthy process is so that if someone tried to steal your car by "bypassing" any given system, it would lock down and give you at least 30 minutes to catch him in the act.
Friday, November 28, 2014 2:42 PM
My friend replaced the starter relay and so far it's been starting ok now,
but he's already replaced the starter and removed the ignition switch box only to find out it was the relay.

The relay itself was replaced about 6 months ago, but apparently it was stuck in the ON position.
Friday, November 28, 2014 10:49 PM
Dan Tremblay wrote:If you don't already have your answer, I may be able to help. I have seen this problem before after I replaced my ECU in a 1999 2.4L, but I'm confident the process is the same. If you get a new key, keyless entry, ignition, or ECU, sometimes you are required to "teach" your computer.

Remove the key from the car
Disconnect your negative battery terminal for 10 minutes.
Reconnect the battery.
Put the key in the ignition and turn to the ACC position BUT do NOT try to start the car. Wait 10 minutes, and not a second sooner - and turn the key back to the OFF position (The antitheft light should go out/stop blinking after the 10 minutes expires so you can do this without a watch)
Now turn the key back to the ACC position again and DO NOT attempt to start it. Wait another 10 minutes.
Now turn the key off again, and turn it back to the ACC position, but this time, after waiting 10 minutes, START the car.

The whole process will take you 40 minutes if you don't waste any time. If you try to cut corners, you'll end up starting over.
I believe the reason behind this lengthy process is so that if someone tried to steal your car by "bypassing" any given system, it would lock down and give you at least 30 minutes to catch him in the act.

That sounds right, had to do mine a few times too but I don't remember exactly but I don't think u have to wait 10 mins everytime, think jus after the battery. Another thing, keep windows and doors closed too apparently.. Good luck. It's a pain in the ass

ReD RaiN
Saturday, November 29, 2014 5:20 PM
I think the THEFT SYSTEM light has to be blinking in order to program it, doesn't it?
It just stays on in my car, it's not blinking. Or it blinks a few times but then it stays on. I waited 12 minutes but it didn't turn off.
Thursday, December 11, 2014 8:18 PM
anyway, it starts sometimes whether or not the THEFT SYSTEM light comes on, and the light does go off once it starts.

Why won't it start sometimes?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search