car won't start sometimes - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
car won't start sometimes
Saturday, October 11, 2014 10:09 AM
Please help. What do I need to fix?
My car won't start sometimes. Not long ago I installed a new ignition lock cylinder because it seized. The starter is not that old,
I also put a new starter relay in it.

It only does this sometimes. When it does this I have to turn the ignition key to 'Start' a few times and then finally it starts.

Re: car won't start sometimes
Saturday, October 11, 2014 10:36 PM
Post your cars specs like year,engine and model to narrow down a tip to resolve this helps those who might know the answer.Ok also if a auto or manual

Sunday, October 12, 2014 4:27 PM
It's a '97 Cavalier with a 2.2L, manual 5 speed, but it really seems like it's something that could happen to anyone, doesn't it?
Sunday, October 12, 2014 8:28 PM
Well this could come down to a few things, more information is needed. When you go to start it and it doesn't start, do you hear any clicking? Have you checked to make sure the connections at the ignition switch are good and tight since you have already had it apart?

Monday, October 13, 2014 6:40 PM
I don't remember hearing any clicking at all, just nothing.
A mechanic friend tightened up the positive battery cable a little more, and it has been starting every time so far.
So far so good and I hope it's fixed, but I went through that before, where I checked the wires and made sure they were tight.

He was the one who does my mechanic work, so I don't know about the connections to the ignition lock cylinder, but
if I'm not mistaken that only has a connector
Re: car won\'t start sometimes
Thursday, October 23, 2014 9:03 PM
It did fine for a little over 10 days, and then today it didn\'t want to start.
Re: car won\\\'t start sometimes
Thursday, October 23, 2014 11:52 PM
Ok simple thing I suggest.I would carry a hammer and a say 10 inch long flat head screw driver in the car.I assume this will touch the starter and you can tap the head of the driver with the hammer.In short this will narrow down if the problem is the starter solenoid is either sticking or the electrical inside it has a dead spot causing the no start scenario.You soley want to place the screw driver on the starter housing (NOT the electrical terminal).If upon the next no start try this and if it cranks after tapping the starter it means you have a worn out starter motor and or solenoid.I would just replace the starter as a hole unit and you may want to do this process several times to verify this corrects the cranking problem.If your not hearing a clicking sound that normal on a dead spot on the solenoid as starters can exibit either the click,click and then crank OR nothing and tap it and whaa laa cranks up.Another route is to remove the starter and get it bench tested at auto zone or advance auto for FREE.I do not recommend replacing the solenoid soley as if the starter motor bite\'s the dust your have created double the work to replace the starter twice.

Re: car won\\\\\\\'t start sometimes
Saturday, October 25, 2014 8:57 PM
I\'ll try it next time, Ron.
It\'s just that the starter/solenoid has been replaced also, it\'s only about a year old. Could it be bad already?
Re: car won\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t start sometimes
Sunday, October 26, 2014 12:10 AM
It is possible with today\'s reman parts I have heard buying a defective part from the get go.Just try the above the next time the problem occurs and see if that narrows down the problem.

Saturday, November 01, 2014 3:19 PM
i am having same issue on my 2001 cavalier i replaced starter,ignition switch,neutral safety switch, relay, battery, cleaned and replaced cables. still have no start issue sometimes i can turn to start sometimes and it will finally start other times i jump the starter and it will start, so i am at my wits end if anybody has any answers it would be greatly appreciated.
Sunday, November 02, 2014 8:39 AM
james let us know how you fix it.

also by ignition switch do you mean the key cylinder lock? That is what I replaced.
I ask becasue there is also a little box that the cylinder lock fits into, but I didn't replace that. Did you?

Wednesday, November 05, 2014 3:09 PM
i replaced the box not lock cylinder
Thursday, November 20, 2014 9:35 AM
I might need a new box on mine.
Do you have to reprogram it when you put the new box in it?
Friday, November 21, 2014 6:20 PM
What happens when the box part of the ignition switch starts to go bad?
Sunday, December 14, 2014 2:45 PM
You have a manual trans? Have you checked the starter disable thing on the clutch pedal? If you get nothing from the engine but all the dash lights come on i would see if it is loose. You could try pumping the pedal few few times see if it starts. My civic has a weird thing as well that you have to move the steering wheel around then it will start. Dealer has looked and looked at it they can't find anything wrong, so we just deal.
Wednesday, December 17, 2014 7:14 PM
well my friend put in another new ignition lock cylinder, and so far it has been starting just fine.

Sparkey05, my friend found a wire that may have been loose, he put a new connector on it. I'm wondering if that was the
reason.

So far it has started fine in the past 3 days, let's hope it keeps starting good now.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search