electrical issue..... - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
electrical issue.....
Monday, November 24, 2014 1:16 PM
2001 CAVALIER Z24 2.4L 5 SPEED....

So few months back I realized my battery was leaking that white sh** all over the tray and was getting on the wires under the tray.... which caused a airbag light sometimes & no fog lights, but if I sprayed batter cleaner and sprayed it down, everything went back to normal working order.

well now....air bag light stays on, but when I turn on my headlights, it goes out, & high beam indicator comes on & stays on whether I flick them on and off, which I have HIDs with no high beams, low beams work good,
Fog lights don't work either, im thinking because the car thinks the high beams are on which cuts the circuit to the fogs.

And the cooling fan doesn't come on now with defroster or A/C, but wil come on if the motor hits 212, the factory setting I know.....

Ive gotten a new acdelco batter, cleaned the tray and sprayed the connectors underneath and they look clean now, and cleaned the ground on the tray....

last thing, sometimes when flicking the high beams on & off, the wipers will go like I hit the "mist" on the wipers, lol

Airbag light said short to ground 3 months ago... will check this week.

Any ideas? Maybe a wire going to the front? or something in the steering column??

Thanks

Re: electrical issue.....
Monday, November 24, 2014 1:52 PM
Do a voltage drop test, and see if the corrosion is causing issues with the ground and power...

Monday, November 24, 2014 2:35 PM
Should i check the power at the hwadlight connectors and fan ?
Tuesday, November 25, 2014 8:07 AM
i am guessing that you don't know how to do a voltage drop test if you are asking,... google it.

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 8:05 PM
So your battery leaked acid onto a section of your wiring harness in the front end of your car. Your steering column is not the issue, that's for sure.

Here's my guess:
Battery acid eats harness below battery tray - degrades insulation on wiring. You clean it and it works for quite a while, but you never fixed it. If you have humidity in the air and exposed bare copper anywhere in that wiring harness, you have corrosion. Eventually corrosion will bridge multiple wires together which would explain why some of your controls are causing other random reactions. Pretty soon you'll start blowing fuses when you need to wash your windshield because you'll also be pulling current to your headlights and horn and who knows what else. I think you should get under that battery and have a look before your airbag decides to deploy on the highway ^^
Saturday, November 29, 2014 3:03 PM
Right, dont need that happening!!!! I looked at it the best I could and it doesnt seem to great... ill have to look more or take it to the dealer, electrical is not my best in cars, everything else is, lol
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search