replacing fuel lines. - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
replacing fuel lines.
Sunday, December 14, 2014 3:20 PM
Ok, my car was starting hard then not at all. took me a week and a half to remember this car has a fuel filter. So down the rabbit hole we go.
I found a great company (Dorman) that makes replacements for the dumb slip type end cause, face it even driving 100 miles a day i haven't had to replace it in so long i forgot it was there. And GM could mess up a wet dream, who puts a fuel filter a foot away from the back tire? GM! that's who.

Got it running but, i tweaked the hard line to the engine. Now it runs but leaks i'd say about a quarter gallon a hour. Anyone got a way to fix it without replacing the whole line?

The hated car in question is a 1997 Cavalier RS two door, 2.2 (old style ohv), auto, with little over 150,000 miles, runs good (normally even if it is weak) and other then the very annoying rattles every third gen seems to have too have. It was good but, it's starting to be a money pit. This is my fourth Cavalier, first and last third gen thou.

Re: replacing fuel lines.
Sunday, December 14, 2014 4:09 PM
Where did you tweak it? near the filter? Screw in side or the tank side?

FU Tuning

Sunday, December 14, 2014 4:17 PM
I've actually got a leak on the screw in side of the filter. Does anybody know what size the line is and if possible the fitting size?
Monday, December 15, 2014 2:30 AM
I tweaked mine at the first clamp after the filter. It's a 3/8 fuel line and dorman has a replacement but it's only 18 inches long with a compression fitting but I don't think i'll find good line with in 18" of the filter.
Monday, December 15, 2014 10:34 AM
I don't know fitting size but it's anot a normal line fitting.
Tuesday, December 16, 2014 10:17 AM
Ok sorry I had to run yesterday. The dorman kit is a real fuel line with the rubber o-ring and flat end that is needed. around me all the parts stores carry them. Like I said it's not a "normal" fitting and the brake line fittings will not seal in the filter.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search