86 auto pass side output shaft came out of case. Trans spins free now. - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
86 auto pass side output shaft came out of case. Trans spins free now.
Monday, December 15, 2014 1:47 PM
Hi!
Hope someone here can give me some help on this problem.
I replaced both cv axles one at a time , passenger side last and now the pass side splined output shaft from inside the case that the CV sllines to, has come out about an inch and now I get no gears. The wheels spin free no park even.

Is there a procedure to get that shaft back in and engaged properly?
I cant find any info on this.
Thanks!

Re: 86 auto pass side output shaft came out of case. Trans spins free now.
Monday, December 15, 2014 11:20 PM
Well some questions on the install.Did you coat the end of the cv axle with grease and make sure the horse shoe pin was ON the end of the shaft before installing into the trans?The axle will slide in and normally have a slight POP feel if installed fully and seat into the gears on the trans spline.IF it was seated correctly then the only thing imo that would cause it to back out is your wheel bearing needs to be replaced.In short the wheel bearing with the axle nut torque to 185ft lbs should not move and the tab bent to prevent that.If it backed axle out enough to not engage the trans yeah your wheels will do nothing.In short a front wheel bearing will make the front brakes drag or guage the rotors if it worn out due to needing replacement and or back the shaft out of the trans.I am very tired long 13 hr day and do know how to explain this just not today.There are some threads in the 1st gen forums specific about wheel bearing installment and axle installments.Let me send a pm to a moderator and get THIS post moved to our forum so I can link the post relevant to the problem.It will get moved so those of us with 1st gens can assist you better since most do not come into the maintenance area.Ron

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 3:30 AM
I'm not sure if this is your issue, but companies are making the passenger side axle to short on the 3rd generation cars. Currently, there is only one company making the correct length.

The axle should pop / click into place with the snap ring when it is fully seated. Do you have your old axle...I assume no.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, December 16, 2014 9:41 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.
I had replaced all components on both sides. Struts, springs , upper mounts, cushions, wheel bearings,CV shafts ( Cardone new units).
I did the drivers side first and then the passenger side.
I still have the old CV shafts and I am going to disassemble the passenger
Side tomorrow to try to figure this out.
I did install it with grease and the clip as u mentioned. It did snap in and locked in place , i tugged it in and out and it is engaged on the splines. If I turn the shaft It rotates the trans stub and I hear the differential turning inside, but like I said their is no Park pawl engagement to lock the wheels now.
There was Park when I finished the driver's side.
When i got underneath to look , the shaft is so far out of the case that the seal contact area is not even in far enough to contact the inner seal. There is an open gap.
I'll get a pic of it tomorrow.
Thanks for all your help guys!
Tuesday, December 16, 2014 10:06 PM
I would measure the new reman cv axle compared to the original myself.Unless you have a bad wheel bearing or your axle nut backed off you should see if that happened.I had a issue where a new axle was installed and one trip the axle nut backed off about 3/8 or so because I did front brakes too and even though I bent the axle nut that made no diffrerence.In short the wheel bearing was the culprit it had lots of slop and was making the disc for the brakes rub the calipers when turning.Late night again but wed I will revisit this.Something clearly is not correct weither it is the axle or maybe the wheel bearing causing the issue.Idk being tired.

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 3:13 PM

Got out of work early disassemble and pulled the CV shaft out.
Turns out Yes, it was a too short one.
It pulled out of the trans when I torqued up the
Bearing nut.
I found an EMPI shaft locally and it was the right size and I already installed it.
I have Park holding with the trans now.
Seems all good but i havent test driven it yet.
Will in the morning.

Aftermarket Parts with these cars is getting crazy. So many dont fit lately.
When I started this job I had an EMPI cv shaft for the drivers side that had an incorrect spline for the transmission. I returned it and got a Cardone that fit. Now on the pass side the Cardine was wrong and the EMPI was right.
I'll follow up after the test drive.
The picture shows top to bottom
1 -Cardone ( too short)
2- EMPI. ( correct length)
3- original stock CV
Attachments
image.jpg (141k)

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 8:55 PM
Glad it was the part being at touch to short.The pic def shows a big variation.Once you get the time come on over to the first gen forum and say hi to the guys as we all have well similar rides.If you have pics of your car well share those too!!! If you have any further questions in regards to issues just post them in our forum as you will get a faster response.Welcome to the site if I fell to mention it.

Thursday, December 18, 2014 5:54 AM
Ray Smith wrote:
1 -Cardone ( too short)
2- EMPI. ( correct length)
3- original stock CV

This is opposite of the third gens. The Cardone fits the passenger side, and everything else is to short.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Friday, December 19, 2014 9:54 AM

Ok , took it for a test drive and it seems to be working fine now.
Still have to do the alignment and bleed the brakes to finish it off.

I'll post over on the First gen Forum.
I guess I must be one the first '86 Z24 owners.
Ordered a 4spd hatchback new in January of '86 and recieved it in April.

Again,
Thanks for the advice !!!

Ray
Friday, December 19, 2014 8:52 PM
That is a cool story which I am sure the other 1st gen junkies would love to read or here about.I have only owned my 85 type 10 16 years but my sister got it back in 1990 from the 1st owner which owned it 5yrs and he bought in brand new.In short technically my ride has been in the family 24yrs so,that is kind of cool.Glad the ride seems better.

Friday, December 19, 2014 11:25 PM
I've never had luck with axles. I always have to measure the diameter and legnth. I always buy new because the remans are just thrown together with whatever is availible.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search