Weird whine, maybe trans? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Weird whine, maybe trans?
Monday, December 08, 2014 12:06 AM
I'm new here, just bought an auto 2002 ohv Cavalier a few weeks ago. I've been driving with the radio off lately and have noticed there's a whine from the front of the vehicle that isn't there when in park or neutral, or when I give it gas in drive with my foot on the brake. It's got me confused because it changes pitch depending on the engine speed, but only while moving and in gear. I've taken it out of gear while rolling and it goes away--or at least isn't noticeable--at idle. Giving it gas while rolling in neutral will raise the pitch but not nearly as much as when it's in gear. Trans fluid looks ok, power steering fluid level is ok and fluid looks ok, drives and shifts crisp and smooth. I'm stumped

Re: Weird whine, maybe trans?
Tuesday, December 09, 2014 5:08 AM
If it sounds like an electrical whine, that fluctuates with engine speed etc., it is most likely your fuel pump. I have the same issue with my 1991 Cavalier, and it is fairly common to these cars. It fools you because you can't really tell where it is coming from, and it seems almost like an electrical issue. That's my guess.
Tuesday, December 09, 2014 4:43 PM
So I checked the atf level today after a drive to warm it up; left it running in park and pulled out the check plug, not a drop came out. I picked up a quart of atf to put in and thought I'd take the plug out while the engine was off to see how much would come out... barely any, just a trickle. So I started it up and poured the bottle in slowly and checked to see when it came out of the check port. I got the whole quart in and no overflow! I took it for a brief test drive and the whine is maybe a little bit quieter, but it's tough to tell. I'm going to get a few more quarts to put in tomorrow.
Wednesday, December 17, 2014 12:02 PM
Andrew Crane wrote:So I checked the atf level today after a drive to warm it up; left it running in park and pulled out the check plug, not a drop came out. I picked up a quart of atf to put in and thought I'd take the plug out while the engine was off to see how much would come out... barely any, just a trickle. So I started it up and poured the bottle in slowly and checked to see when it came out of the check port. I got the whole quart in and no overflow! I took it for a brief test drive and the whine is maybe a little bit quieter, but it's tough to tell. I'm going to get a few more quarts to put in tomorrow.

Sorry not a car guy, what si ATF fluid? My 04 cav is making the same sound.
Thursday, December 18, 2014 9:21 PM
Sounds like a bearring in one of the pullies. Mine did the same 2.2l ohv. Remove the belt and drive it a few feet. See if the noise goes away

ReD RaiN
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search