clutch replacement - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
clutch replacement
Sunday, January 18, 2015 11:39 AM

So I have to have it done. Not looking forward to it. I had a question as I tossed and turned last night. When the shop replaces the clutch (which comes as a kit for this 2001 2.2 5-speed manual cavalier), will they bleed and replace the ancient clutch fluid as part of the process or would that be above and beyond - and extra. I also am worried about the whole flywheel resurfacing thing. Just trying to add up the worst-case-scenario since I already can't afford just the clutch and anything on top will really be upsetting.

thanks.

fluid leak
Monday, January 26, 2015 6:43 AM

I got the new clutch installed last Monday and it was more of a nightmare than I could have ever imagined, being stranded and stressed-out all day and being told it would be $200 more than the original quote because I needed a new trans mount and a new rear main seal AND they gave me the incorrect price for the clutch (the one I needed cost $100 more, according to them. But I survived and then found they had broken the washer fluid tubing, there was an engine coolant leak and the whole front section of the car was covered with black marks that I can't get out and all scratched-up where it had been perfect and like-new.

I was so upset and exhausted that I just never ever wanted to go near that place again, but over the last several days I have noticed a dripping of black fluid from somewhere it has never come from before under the car. It isn't engine oil and after a few days of inspecting and hoping it would stop - I have decided it is clutch (brake) fluid coming from the bell housing area.

Can someone tell me that this isn't the disaster that I am afraid it is - because after what I have just gone through with this nightmare, I rather make 100 trips to the dentist than have to go back there and have them tear the whole damn thing apart again due to a leaking slave cylinder.

Any ideas, help, suggestions would be appreciated. Had I known what an awful experience and catastrophic expense it was going to be, I should have just sold the car.
Re: fluid leak
Tuesday, January 27, 2015 4:15 AM
Take it back..

In the future get a manual and work on your own car.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search