2001 Cavalier 2.2l running rough/no power - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2001 Cavalier 2.2l running rough/no power
Sunday, February 01, 2015 10:37 AM
So this is my son's car and he says this happened out of the blue. He stopped at my work last week, turned the car off, started it (and it sounded different) and when he left I went back in the building. I got a call from him asking me to come back out. He said the car wouldn't go over 15 mph. I told him park it at the end of the lot and get a ride home from his brother. Last Sunday I went up there with some tools and checked compression and timing. All the cylinders were good and good spark everywhere. I had rented a fuel pressure tester from Autozone but I couldn't find anywhere under the hood to connect it.

So I started the car and it was running rough but no sign that it wanted to stall. I drove around the parking lot and it would only take 1/4 to 1/3 gas before it would bog down. At 1/4 to 1/3 it would accelerate and it shifted into second. I called him and told him I wanted to pick him up because I thought the car would make it the 7 miles to my house. I drove the car and I was able to get home, getting up to 50 mph a time or two with no strange noises. There were some shifting issues making me think he is way low on transmission fluid and I know for a fact that we have never checked it because of the special procedures for it.

Toady I was able to connect the fuel pressure tester to the outlet of the fuel filter and with the car idling, it was reading 53 which from what I have seen is good. But the engine still makes a racket. I have attached a small sound file. Well I was going to attach a sound file but this forum doesn't allow them Hopefully someone will have some suggestions for where to go next. I do want to drop the transmission pan and change the filter, gasket and fluid, but I don't want to spend that $90 until I have a good feeling that I will get the can running reasonable again.

So, helpful thoughts and suggestions?

Bob

Re: 2001 Cavalier 2.2l running rough/no power
Sunday, February 01, 2015 12:21 PM
Minor update, it isn't a clogged catalytic converter. We separated the exhaust at the manifold, and other than being louder, it still is real rough and no power. It actually seemed to start harder with the exhaust open. I don't know if that is normal or if that information helps.

ob
Sunday, February 01, 2015 10:18 PM
Sounds like a vacuum leak, maybe not getting enough fuel or bad sensor

ReD RaiN
Monday, February 02, 2015 5:12 AM
let us know how you fix it, please
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search