4T40-E concerns 2 - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
4T40-E concerns 2
Sunday, February 22, 2015 1:33 PM
So my car has about 230 thousand or so miles on it, apparently the trans filter/fluid has never been changed more than once and that being more than 3 years ago(prior owner was my mother so not surprised). With how it shifts somewhat harshly albeit not so harshly it's painfully noticeable should I go ahead and switch filters, put in a new gasket/seal and flush the fluid to make way for royal purple synthetic max atf & install the b&m shift+? The trans pan has a large quanity of buildup around it which isn't good, this build up has even traveled to the dogbone so I'm almost certain it either has a leak or what that pan is hiding won't be pretty. As I see it I have three options, go ahead with the fluid/filter change and install the b&m shift+, let it run it's course pull it when it dies & put in a 5spd or go the rebuild route using http://www.importperformancetrans.com/catalog/gm-transmission-rebuild-kits/4t40e-and-4t45e-performance-transmission-rebuild-kit--1972.html

What so you guys think? It should be noted I have never driven a manual in my life but would love to learn how. Though it honestly doesn't even seem that difficult. So yeah for a 97 2.2 4spd which route would you guys suggest?

Apologies if the search contains answers to my questions but since I have a tablet as my only means to use the internet it's difficult to search sometimes as it wont load the results on this damn thing 80% of the time. Any & all help would be appreciated

Re: 4T40-E concerns 2
Sunday, February 22, 2015 1:34 PM
Oops wrong forum thought I posted in trans forum, sorry
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search