98 sunfire anti theft problems - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
98 sunfire anti theft problems
Monday, February 23, 2015 9:25 AM
98 sunfire 2.2 auto

I purchased the car last summer for my daughter (first car). The PO was family. When the PO purchased it, aftermarket cruise and keyless entry was installed. PO says they had it unhooked. It had the shifter button cover problem, fixed. The PO abused the key lock ignitinion due to the shifter problem. Key lock has been replaced several times (other problem), went thru the re-learn dozens of times. The car also would also only start after the sun had hit the hood. Replaced the IAT and another sensors. The car would start in the cold eventually. Solid anti theft light, car still started and ran. Replaced the instrument cluster (used part), the light went out and all was good for around a month, then I had another ignition switch failure, replaced only to have a solid theft light. I've done the relearn so many times I could do it in my sleep. Replaced the PCM (used). Looked like it would work, had a flashing light, relearn worked, started car, ran for 2 minutes, then a solid theft light. I shut down the car and started the relearn again, no luck.

I do almost all of my own wrenching.

I need help.

Please respond. This seems to be a common problem and I thought this forum would at least enlighten me.

Re: 98 sunfire anti theft problems
Monday, February 23, 2015 7:14 PM
Have you tried just doing the resistor bypass for the lock?
Tuesday, February 24, 2015 9:28 AM
I've read several places that won't work on a 98.
Wednesday, February 25, 2015 7:17 AM

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 6:07 PM
But did you try it?
Thursday, February 26, 2015 10:02 AM
no. not very good with electronics, but very handy. How about an answer on how to fix this instead of a rig or mod to bypass it.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search