Block Heater Cord?? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Block Heater Cord??
Monday, January 28, 2008 9:41 PM
I have a 01 sunfire gt.... so the 2.4L LD9.... but I cannot seem to find a good spot or a good place to run the block heater cord... without having it interfere with my hood closing and the plug scrapping the crap out of my front bumper or having the excess dangle down into the belts... during the summer i simply zap strap it to the other wiring that is harnessed to the frame.... but during the winter it is needed often so zap strapping is not a feasible solution any suggestions???

Re: Block Heater Cord??
Tuesday, January 29, 2008 5:53 AM
What models of J's came with block heaters?

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 6:00 AM
Tinkles wrote:What models of J's came with block heaters?

Probably any one that was ordered with one, which in Canada and most of the Northern US was most likely all of them.
Tuesday, January 29, 2008 6:01 AM
Oh, and I'm not sure if the Fires are the same as Cavaliers, but can you just put it somewhere around the coolant reservoir until you need it?
Tuesday, January 29, 2008 10:17 AM
the cord seems to be to long... and it doesn't really sit securely around there.... I was hoping there was a proper place to put it in
Tuesday, January 29, 2008 7:54 PM
a bit of velcro would do you good...

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Tuesday, January 29, 2008 9:55 PM
ahh never thought about doing that.... thanks for the tip!! once it warms up i'll have to try that.. any suggestions of a good place to velcro it to?? i just don't want it to get into area were it could do damage
Wednesday, January 30, 2008 4:57 PM
Maybe you could route it down to the openings in the lower part of the bumper. You could maybe use either velcro, or some type of hook to connect it to the top of the opening, so it's not too visible, but still accessible. On our van (Windstar) the plug is actually hard-mounted in this opening with a spring loaded flip-top cover over it. You just flip open the cover, and push the extension cord onto the plug. As long as you secure the wiring on its way there, you shouldn't have problems. Just leave enough slack to allow it to move with the engine.
I thought of routing mine down there, but since I don't need it often here, (and a bit of laziness) I haven't bothered yet. I've just routed it out near the headlight, but as you mentioned, it DOES leave marks on the bumper as it blows around when driving. At least mine's just silver, so they're not very noticeable once I wax over it. Compared to over 205,000km worth of highway road badges, the light scuffs aren't too big a deal for me...
I know that in 2002 at least, all Sunfires and Cavaliers sold in Canada had block heaters installed as standard equipment.
Tuesday, February 24, 2015 12:14 PM
Try to run the right length ,or just enough to stick the cord plug on the side of the interior side of the passenger side headlight . What i do with mine is i tuck it under the hood overhang right near the headlight when its not in use .

BLACKMANTIS
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search