Flashing Vs solid ligh passlock - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Flashing Vs solid ligh passlock
Tuesday, February 03, 2015 6:39 PM
Hey, my friends 97 sunfire has some passlock issues, the car was running fine but apparently there was a code for the theft system with the CEL. And after he cleared that the car never started again.
We have tried the relearn procedures, even the 30 min one. but it wont stay running more then 1 second. I have been reading that when it is doing the relearn, the theft light is usually flashing. But after this thing dies the theft light will only flash maybe 6 times and then stay solid. We have tried a 2200 5% ohm resistor on the yellow wire as well. with no luck. Also tried the resistor between the yellow and black wires with no luck. This car did have a remote started installed on it. And I have no idea what boxes are suppose to be under the dash and which are for the remote start. I also noticed 5 plugs coming out of the steering wheel wiring loom that are connected to nothing. They are quite short and are pretty well right after the end of the dash panel.

But I guess my main question is, if the theft light wont stay flashing, does that mean that something is not right with the system?

Re: Flashing Vs solid ligh passlock
Tuesday, February 17, 2015 8:15 PM
I would also like to know the answer to this question as my theft system light doesn't blink it just stays lit on my 01 sunfire and even when doing the relearn procedure it doesn't go off after 10 minutes
Tuesday, February 24, 2015 9:34 AM
same problem on my 98. What I really dont understand is that when you google this problem . . . there are virtuly 1000's of people with the same problem since the mid 90's, and not one straight forward answer, not from a GM tech. I've seen and tried many relearn processes and nothing works. I've replaced the key ignition, intrument cluster and the PCM, still a sold fricking light!
Wednesday, February 25, 2015 6:20 PM
Hmm, well according to this site, I totally didn't wire it right. http://www.kingbain.com/how-to-permanently-disable-gm-passlock-system/
I had both wires cut. apparently you leave the black wire connected, just cut it open a bit. And I never read what my resistance requirement was.
Thursday, February 26, 2015 3:21 AM
When my 99 did this is was easier to either swap in a spare cluster, PCM, or ignition switch to force the car to start the relearn procedure. For whatever reason, now that these Js are getting older sometimes the Relearn Procedure will not initiate properly until one of the main components are swapped. Then you can swap in the old unit...do the relearn again, and call it a day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, February 26, 2015 3:21 AM

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, February 26, 2015 10:03 AM
aka, phone a friend and grab a case of beer for multiple relearn procedures.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Thursday, February 26, 2015 10:06 AM
The PCM, ignition, and cluster have all been replaced, still a solid light. I've not had any luck with a relearn on the solid light. When I changed the PCM the light did flash at first, then when I went to start, flashed 6 times and went to a solid light, been on solid since.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search