Turn signals don't work after car warms up? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Turn signals don't work after car warms up?
Tuesday, March 03, 2015 10:23 PM
I have a '99 Z24, and I've been having some problems with my turn signal switch. Whenever I use the turn signal stalk to turn on either my left or right turn signal, the signals quit working after I've been driving the car for a while. If the car is cold or just recently started, both turn signals work perfectly fine. If it's a hot day (last summer), or if I've been driving the car for a while this winter with the heat running, the turn signals quit working. When I turn on either the left or right signal, the green blinker light on the dash just stays solid, and the blinker doesn't make the "clicking" sound that you normally hear when your blinker is on.

I replaced the turn signal stalk, and the new one did the same thing so I know its not the stalk that's the problem. Does anyone know if there's a way to replace any of the wiring or do some type of test on the wiring to find out where the problem could be? Is there a common part in the steering column that can go bad & be affected by heat? Any info you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Turn signals don't work after car warms up?
Wednesday, March 04, 2015 5:51 AM
Try the relay under the dash . . I forget the part number right now but it's under a little plastic cover and it was bright green in both of my 3rd gens.

Wednesday, March 04, 2015 8:33 AM
Thanks for the fast reply! I'll try the relay & see if that works.
Monday, March 16, 2015 10:49 PM
Just in case anyone else is having the same problem, I just wanted to post back to confirm that replacing the relay fixed my turn signal problem.

I didn't check on pricing for an OEM replacement, but I got an aftermarket unit at Advance Auto Parts for $16.....I think it was a generic part number that is compatible with a number of different vehicles. I think the part number was EP27. The original relay was green, and the aftermarket replacement is black. The hardest part of the replacement was finding where the relay was located up under the dash. You really have to get in there & follow where the brake lever goes up under the steering column.

Thank you again 96S1 for the great advice.
Tuesday, March 17, 2015 6:30 AM
You're welcome - glad it worked

Saturday, March 21, 2015 7:39 PM
96S1 wrote:You're welcome - glad it worked

96S1, could the same relay cause only the left rear to do the same thing.... only the left rear.... only sometimes? I figured it was just a crappy connection or loose wire
Monday, March 23, 2015 6:52 AM
Hard to say - when my 03 started acting funky I did the same thing, checked all connections and bulbs. I also checked my wiring since I had modified for the Toyota tails and LED's in the rear. Once I confirmed all that was good, I swapped the relay and boom - fixed. So I'd say give it a try - for a few bucks it might be an easy fix. If you hit the yards you could grab one for a buck or 2 probably. I believe they swap from 95-05. I used the one from my '98 to test the issue on the 03 and it worked fine.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search