help 88 z24 5 speed drop top wont run - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
help 88 z24 5 speed drop top wont run
Monday, February 23, 2015 9:23 PM
hello i have a 1988 cav z24 convert. 5 speed got it to fix up for my daughters first car i am a long time w body owner have owned several w and have owned several j body cars so i figured easy to get it going well it starts and runs like crap misses real bad will rev to about 2k missing and spuddering sounds like a vacuum at the air cleaner great readings on dash no codes never gets hot well yesterday i was messing with it a little and let it run for about 20 minutes shutting off and stalling several times well smoke started coming from the center console so i shut it off and couldn't find anything smoking in the console so i look under it and the exhaust was red from the down pipe to almost the muffler (cats hollow) smoke rolling out all over i stood by with a hose and a fire extinguisher till it cooled (mind u motor was touchable) so it was not over heated at all i have no history on the car came from a crack car lot i saved it from being crushed as its really clean now things i have done new injectors (didnt start when i got it all were under 11 ohm) new fuel pump all coils firing checked with timing light sparks great on all 6 wires has 40# of fuel pressure hollowed cat no check engine codes yes it lights while key is in on position before starting also has great injector pulse holds 30#s oil pressure at operating temp with a very low missy idle at 2k has 50-60#s does not smoke at all or use any fluids any ideas ?????
Attachments
z242.jpg (66k)
z241.jpg (61k)

Re: help 88 z24 5 speed drop top wont run
Monday, February 23, 2015 10:31 PM
The one thing that got my attention is the glowing red exhaust.In my experience only one thing cause's that and that is a exhaust restriction.Even if the cat is gutted what could be causing the exhaust to turn red is the muffler is blocked and causing a lot of back pressure heating up the pipes front to rear! To me this would cause the idle to be low as less air flow make's the idle do weird stuff.I would cut off the muffler or remove it temporarily and see 1st if this fixes the problem.I could list some item's but,go simple and see if removing the muffler fixe's the issue.I doubt a blocked up egr valve would cause this or a maf,or iac valve either.That is my take based on the issue you have now.

Monday, February 23, 2015 10:34 PM
the muffler has great flow i am wondering if it jumped timing ?
Monday, February 23, 2015 10:42 PM
love your type 10 was my first j body had a 2 door and a 2 door hatch back in the day
Tuesday, February 24, 2015 12:54 PM
If it's glowing red, either there is a restriction, or a lot of raw fuel is being dumped into the exhaust. I believe that there are pieces of the cat either blocking the exhaust pipe or the muffler, especially since there is a los of power and higher rpms. I would disconnect the exhaust at the manifold and see if the problem still exists as you increase the rpms.
Tuesday, February 24, 2015 12:57 PM
disconnecting it mad no difference i do not believe its a flow issue what about running really lean that would make it miss and not rev
Tuesday, February 24, 2015 1:13 PM
Where did you disconnect the exhaust?

Tuesday, February 24, 2015 1:23 PM
from infront of the cat
Tuesday, February 24, 2015 1:33 PM
all that unhooking it did is make it sound like a dead motorcycle
Tuesday, February 24, 2015 10:13 PM
i am pretty sure its running very lean if i spray gas in the throttle body it smooths out and runs better also will rev if gas is sprayed into it
Tuesday, March 03, 2015 11:17 PM
What is the mileage on the cars odometer? I am wiped out tonight,but have some thoughts and will hold off till you pop up the mileage.I also want to dig into my books for some references before I make a wrong suggestion.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search