power steering - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
power steering
Thursday, March 12, 2015 7:59 PM
I just bought a '04 Cavalier, and the power steering makes a slight, rather quiet noise, it also doesn't seem exactly smooth and easy while turning at slow parking lot speeds.

What does that mean is going bad, my power steering rack? Or would it be the power steering pump?

Re: power steering
Thursday, March 12, 2015 10:01 PM
Check for leaks around the dust boot on your rack, if any is present the seals are bad. Noise sometimes can just be an air lock. Raise front of vehicle so wheels are off the ground and remove the power steering filler cap then rotate wheels front left to right from lock to lock a few times. Slipping belt may also cause the steering pump to make noise. I get a noise time to time and actually lost all my fluid a few times but been fine going on a 3 years or so.. Hard turning could be bad strut bearings

ReD RaiN
Thursday, March 12, 2015 11:07 PM
Depending on what the noise is it could be any number of things. Is it a wining noise? If so check your ps fluid. Is it pop or clunk and feels like the wheel binds and releases over and over as you are turning the wheels it could be the strut mount. The list goes on, a better description would be needed to be of further assistance.

Saturday, March 28, 2015 8:54 AM
The noise turned out to be coming from the steering column, near the steering wheel. It only does it sometimes, real soft.
Is it ok not to worry about it?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search