Steering problem? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Steering problem?
Friday, March 13, 2015 12:29 AM
Okay so as I was driving home a few days ago I turned by my local Wendy's and before the turn was complete a pop sound went off and I actually felt it in my steering wheel. All of sudden my steering wheel was forcibly turning until it couldn't turn anymore, I was able to maintain control long enough to get into my drive way. As I looked under the car what I could only think of as a support bar that connects from the control arm and extends to the chassis in a fork shape was just hanging there. The fork had broken completely off due to rust, next day I took my tire off removed the part and checked my tie rods which are fine. I did notice my subframe was rusted badly and will not last much longer but I plan on getting another and either welding a k brace to it or bolting a custom one to it. Sadly ttr's kbrace won't fit my 2.2 ohv(y u no fit?)

So I basically used 120 grit sandpaper and my rotary tool to get rid of about 90-95% of the rust and applied a coat of rust resistant I got from advanced autos. Aside from this bar, the subframe and the steering pump(which is fine) what else could cause this? Just in case the support bar thingy was just a side effect of the possible true culprit?

Re: Steering problem?
Friday, March 13, 2015 12:35 AM
I did get a new part from lindale autos, thought I typed that in before the rust removal part.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search