Please HELP!!! 2005 Automatic Ecotec Cavalier sedan DASHBOARD VIBRATION 40-50MPH - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Please HELP!!! 2005 Automatic Ecotec Cavalier sedan DASHBOARD VIBRATION 40-50MPH
Sunday, March 15, 2015 5:28 PM
First I thought it was wheel or tires so I had 4 new tires put on at discount Tire.
Discount told me they found one bent wheel, & they replaced with the new tires.
Vibration still appears.

So I decided to change ALL engine AND transmission mounts.
Vibration is still there 40-50mph and only 40-50.
Feel slight vibration through the gas pedal when it does vibrate, so that's why I decided to do all the mounts.

Red flag***
The vibration WILL GO AWAY QUICKER WHEN I ACCELERATE QUICKER.
WHEN I ACCELERATE NORMAL IT VIBRATES LONGER
Also
No vibration in turns or braking.

I am pretty seasoned in the automotive field. (Currently working for mobile automotive repair)

I have had a 03 Cavie and it was totaled when a red light runner decided to run into me. And I never had this problem with my 03 Cavie so I am out of ideas. I know there are plenty of ppl with Cavaliers so I hope my vibration isnt just on my 05.
Thanks for any input
-Andrew

Re: Please HELP!!! 2005 Automatic Ecotec Cavalier sedan DASHBOARD VIBRATION 40-50MPH
Sunday, March 15, 2015 10:36 PM
Check the axles and wheel bearings. If the car was on a lift they could have found the issue very fast.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Re: Please HELP!!! 2005 Automatic Ecotec Cavalier sedan DASHBOARD VIBRATION 40-50MPH
Tuesday, April 07, 2015 9:04 PM
Brain storming here.
Warped rotors would shake under braking but could be they have mud in them.
CV joint might shake & torque or accelerating quickly may change that but you hear the clicking when turning.
If you have a GoPro & suction cup mount you could film the wheels or under the hood.
Since the '05 has a an accelerator cable & you said you felt it through the gas peddle it could be engine/trans shake. You could take the hood off and see if the engine shakes while driving.
Per Rob above jack it up & shake every rotating part, tie rods & maybe shock mounts.
Dirt in the wheels but you had them done at Discount. Although they did balance my dirty wheel & was OK till I cleaned it.
Wheel bearing make a growling sound but usually dont shake.
Not much in the back. Wheels, tires hub, bearing & drums.

Hope this triggers something to help you narrow down the cause.
Wednesday, April 08, 2015 8:57 PM
How old are your struts and are the mounts nice and tight.Not that either would contribute to a acceleration issue,but really any suspension component could create a vibration based on the cars moving at particular speeds.

Thursday, July 30, 2015 12:16 PM
Did they replace only the tires or the whole wheel? Because if there is a bent wheel and they only replaced the tires....well that's not solving the issue...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search