Subframe Removal - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Subframe Removal
Thursday, March 19, 2015 11:58 PM
So tomorrow I'm removing my subframe and putting a new one in, what I need to know is what bolt sizes and how many do I need to remove and lastly what else needs to be removed? I have a 1100lb capacity support bar to hold everything up while I work on it and I have a decent amount of sockets so I'm sure I will have then right sizes. I plan on doing my tranny mount, oil & trans fluid changes while I'm down there

Re: Subframe Removal
Monday, March 23, 2015 11:46 PM
Never mind the search started working again, I went up to upap found a rather decent one from a 98 coupe. The passengers side part of it is impeccable with just a few very small bits of rust but it seems the guy loved going mudding because god damn was it covered in mud. Drivers side however is more rusty but it seems I got to it before the rust turned it into swiss cheese. I've been sanding, grinding and sanding away at the rust. Plan on coating it with rustolem rubberized anti rust coating I got from advanced autos.

Anyone know how good it is? Know of anything better? I also plan on getting a light weight bar with two loop thread bolts(have no idea what you actually call them, eye bolts?)to thread into the bar and making a brace for it. I would buy the ttr kbrace but it won't work on 2.2 ohv cavys, I was surprised on how flawed the construction was on these things for being a vital component as well as how light it was. So I did a bit of research & stumbled upon a thread on here with a photo of a bolt on brace so figured why not?
Tuesday, March 24, 2015 2:22 AM
I think there are 3 bolts on each side and I want to say they are 18mm. It has been a few years since I swapped mine. I grabbed a spare from a junkyard and had it media blasted and power coated.

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 8:24 AM
Over all rustolem rubberized paint is good tip has a tendency to clog. Clean all grease and crap is stick pretty well. It also with stands heat well.
Wednesday, March 25, 2015 3:00 PM
Well I was in the process of removing my broken subframe when I discovered part of the frame that curves then has a bolt connecting it to the chassis was completely broken away. Reached in and was able to pull it out without any effort, passengers side has a lot of slime/greese buildup so I'm hoping nothing is leaking. Sadly I didn't have enough sockets so the size I needed I didn't have. Is the passenger side bolts supposed to be smaller and or larger than their drivers side counterpart?

Because passenger side was a size smaller and this is where all that greese like substance was present. Think snot mixed with mud/puss/oil and that's what I was looking at. Is my coolant leaking?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search