Need help, no ground on passenger side High Beam - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Need help, no ground on passenger side High Beam
Tuesday, March 24, 2015 9:09 AM
My passenger side high beam stopped working a few months ago, I first tried replacing the bulb, and when that didn't work, I tested the connector with my multi tester. I discovered that the wire which is supposed to drop to ground when the headlights are on is dead, no power or ground, regardless of whether the lights are turned on or not. I checked out the wiring at the headlight, even cutting into the wire a few inches down and checking there, just to rule out a bad connector. My guess is that the bad connection is happening control side. Where are the headlights controlled from? If someone could explain to me how they are wired, and where I should look for the break in the wire, I would greatly appreciated. My state inspection is coming up, and I don't know what I'm going to do if I can't figure this out.

Thanks.

Re: Need help, no ground on passenger side High Beam
Tuesday, March 24, 2015 11:14 AM
The high beams ground 2 ways, through the BCM and through the high beam flash on the turn signal switch. If your high beams flash OK then you can check that your BCM is grounding your headlamp at the blue connector on the BCM pin A6.

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 2:46 PM
The passenger side lamp does not work with the flash function either, the driver's side works fine.
Tuesday, March 24, 2015 7:11 PM
So where do the wires split off for each headlight? If I wanted to run a new wire out the the headlight, where would I need to splice?
Thursday, March 26, 2015 1:26 PM
Bump
Thursday, March 26, 2015 1:27 PM
Does the pin you mentioned provide ground to both high beams, or only the passengers side?
Thursday, March 26, 2015 6:15 PM
Pin a6 on the bcm is an empty pin....
Friday, March 27, 2015 10:19 AM
Pin A6 on connector C2 (blue) on the BCM is both right and left headlight ground. I do not know where the 2 grounds join and head into the cabin. It also goes up to connector C1 (blue) pin B on the turn signal switch to ground for flash. If you flash and one works and the other does not, sounds like you have a connection problem and will have to trace.

If the pin on the connector I mentioned on the BCM is empty, it might be because I do not know which year car you have because you did not say and you do not have it listed in your profile, so I used the drawings I have for my '05.

Friday, March 27, 2015 6:21 PM
Okay, sorry about that. I should have mentioned the year. It's a 99,so completely different wiring. that said, I was able to go by the wiring diagram in my Hanes manual, and just like you said, one pin grounds both headlights, so that ruled out a control issue. So I tore into the harness behind the bumper, and low and behold... A previous owner had hidden multiple crimp-on quick splices behind the bumper. The wiring is too far gone to save, so I am soldering in a section of donor harness from the junkyard.

Thank you for your help!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search