Severe frame rust help? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Severe frame rust help?
Monday, March 30, 2015 9:55 PM
Well, This may be the end of my 98 Cavalier, but a while back my racing team helped me out and did a beautiful Eco swap on this car. During Auto-X, we accidentally blew up the engine when the rev limiter for whatever reason quit. Since then it sat in my garage for about 3-4 years before my buddy painfully took a entire year to convert it slowly back to a perfect stock cavalier so my sweetheart had something to drive to work when her cobalt was mangled up. So she's been driving it with the 2.2L and I've done minor work on it since. Although I noticed today while welding a muffler on(the rice kind, Magnaflow 14852) this rust on what i think is the rear frame legs?

I'm worried, anything I can do to save the car or am I out of luck. I want to know before I continue because I have a LD9 and an M45 lying around to go in eventually and a new hood and trunklid and doors and bumper and fun stuff like that. Can it be saved?
Attachments
IMG_20150327_173420.jpg (631k)
IMG_20150327_173430.jpg (684k)

"I like to burn money in piles too" -Brian

Re: Severe frame rust help?
Monday, March 30, 2015 11:05 PM
Tough call at that angle, but there could be a chance....

http://www.autorentalandsales.com/images/2004Cavalier005.JPG
Tuesday, March 31, 2015 5:42 AM
Most people just cut that section out and weld in some C channel. It doesn't look great but that's FAR from the worst rust I've ever seen in that area.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, March 31, 2015 8:42 AM
Alright, whats best to go about this?

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 11:21 AM
That is no where near severe. My frame rails had 4in holes in them. I welded patches on mine.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Tuesday, March 31, 2015 5:34 PM
If it's an Eco swap, why swap to an ld9.

Wednesday, April 01, 2015 9:32 AM
It previously had an eco swap. Our racing team did a beautiful one. Mine gernaded during a dragrace when i popped the clutch and went off the line. The rev limiter went funky and it went well over the limiter. So when that happened it sat for a few years. Then my friend said he'd Drop the 2.2 2200 back in because its the only motor he had on him. So i let him do that. I've never done an eco swap, but it you think it's not horrifyingly hard, maybe I could give it a try, otherwise I think I'll just put the LD9 in it.

As to the rust, I've just never personally had it that bad. So if it's fixable, thank god cause alot of people have told me it's not.

Wednesday, April 01, 2015 4:25 PM
Eco swap is the same as a ld9 swap. Eco doesn't have oiling issues like the ld9 does and the aftermarket is still current. It's your choice. I use to have an ld9 till it spun a bearing.

Wednesday, April 08, 2015 10:42 AM
Don't I have to tear the whole car down for the Eco Swap?

I'll start another thread I guess, instead of bumping this one

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search