2003 Cavalier with Toyota Cavalier Lights ( Brakes Lights Not working Anymore) - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2003 Cavalier with Toyota Cavalier Lights ( Brakes Lights Not working Anymore)
Friday, April 03, 2015 5:18 PM
Hey if I can please get someone to help me out with this issue , of my brake lights not lighting up and here are some other details to help diagnose the problem

- All other lights are working like turn signals , reverse lights , Hazards
- I already replaced the brake light switch thinking it was that but it did not fix the issue ,
- My day time running brake lights are working but when i press the brake pedal in the dont get brighter nor does the spoiler light work when brakes are press in
- I took a volt meter to all wires that run to the Toyota cavalier brake lights and spoiler lights and when brakes are pressed in i get 14.3 volts and every power wire so there is power going to all brake lights
-- when i pulled out the fuze for the stop/hazd the hazards turn off but the day time run brakes lights stay on even with the fuze out
- I have had these installed and working perfectly in the car fir years so its not a issue or me installing them wrong
- also a couple of days ago while the brakes lights were still not working i just opened the trunk and told me girlfriend to press the brakes and the right side worked but later that night it stopped working again
- Also sometime when i check the wire on the tail lights the brake lights on only one side will stay lit up as if i am pressing the brakes in this happened two days ago on the right side and it happened today on the left side

Those are all of the things i can think of right now and i am in need of help really bad so if anyone can please get back to me with some suggestion that would be greatly appreciated

oh yah and a couple of days ago while i have been having the brake light issue one of the brake lights went out and i changed it so i did change one of the lights should i try changing both at once and how about
the spoiler light if those L.E.D.S were not working for some reason would that make all the brake lights not work , buit then again i know there 14.3 volts going to each brake light when pedal in pressed in .

OK thanks for any help you guys can give cause i cant drive me car right now and that's my only vehicle

Re: 2003 Cavalier with Toyota Cavalier Lights ( Brakes Lights Not working Anymore)
Friday, April 03, 2015 5:52 PM
If the lights work with the hazard and turn signals then the issue is probably with the wiring at your pedal or near there. I would test to make sure your brake light switch is getting 12v on the in and out. I also think there might be a brake light relay but I'm not sure.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Re: 2003 Cavalier with Toyota Cavalier Lights ( Brakes Lights Not working Anymore)
Friday, April 03, 2015 10:05 PM
do you know if there is a brake light relay , i would i test in and out for 12v on the brake light switch , its a brand new switch just bought it
Sunday, April 05, 2015 9:50 PM
can anyone else put their input in on the problem please ??
Monday, April 06, 2015 1:17 AM
also my trunk light is not working and when i open my drivers side door the dome lights does not come on either , only when the passenger opens their door which i think is weird also
Monday, April 06, 2015 1:19 AM
And also when i press the brakes in and out pretty fast my rpm will increase abit to like 1500 rpm from the idle 950-1000, which i find odd as well , someone please help me
Monday, April 06, 2015 6:29 AM
Josh Brewer wrote:Hey if I can please get someone to help me out with this issue , of my brake lights not lighting up and here are some other details to help diagnose the problem

- All other lights are working like turn signals , reverse lights , Hazards
- I already replaced the brake light switch thinking it was that but it did not fix the issue ,
- My day time running brake lights are working but when i press the brake pedal in the dont get brighter nor does the spoiler light work when brakes are press in
- I took a volt meter to all wires that run to the Toyota cavalier brake lights and spoiler lights and when brakes are pressed in i get 14.3 volts and every power wire so there is power going to all brake lights
-- when i pulled out the fuze for the stop/hazd the hazards turn off but the day time run brakes lights stay on even with the fuze out
- I have had these installed and working perfectly in the car fir years so its not a issue or me installing them wrong
- also a couple of days ago while the brakes lights were still not working i just opened the trunk and told me girlfriend to press the brakes and the right side worked but later that night it stopped working again
- Also sometime when i check the wire on the tail lights the brake lights on only one side will stay lit up as if i am pressing the brakes in this happened two days ago on the right side and it happened today on the left side

Those are all of the things i can think of right now and i am in need of help really bad so if anyone can please get back to me with some suggestion that would be greatly appreciated

oh yah and a couple of days ago while i have been having the brake light issue one of the brake lights went out and i changed it so i did change one of the lights should i try changing both at once and how about
the spoiler light if those L.E.D.S were not working for some reason would that make all the brake lights not work , buit then again i know there 14.3 volts going to each brake light when pedal in pressed in .

OK thanks for any help you guys can give cause i cant drive me car right now and that's my only vehicle

I've never heard of DRL's for tail lights. Did you custom wire that to match the headlight DRL's? If not, are you referring to the normal lights "on" position?

I would go over the toyo tails wiring setup. There are too many odd things going on and it sounds like it is not consistent. The wiring you did years ago - look through every connection and/or re-do the connections. Don't forget the one in the steering column. You can also experiment and test by hooking up the stock system again and see if that fixes the issue. But if it has worked for years and now it doesn't, either something happened with the custom work or there might be a short somewhere. Either way it's only a couple of connections in the trunk harness and one in the steering column - should only take you a few minutes to rule that out or determine if that's where the problem is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, April 06, 2015 6:54 AM

Tuesday, April 07, 2015 12:50 AM
yaqh i was just referring to the lights being on the on position , i have already went and check all wires in the back and everything seems to be good all wires have power running to them and the wires are still in good condition , which harness are you talking about in the steering column and trunk harness and what would i
need to do to check them thanks for your help
Tuesday, April 07, 2015 6:47 AM
Is this the way you hooked it up:

Toyota Cavalier Tail Light Conversion

Thursday, April 09, 2015 4:55 AM
yes thats exactly how its wired
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search