Ecotec transmission fluid change - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ecotec transmission fluid change
Saturday, April 04, 2015 2:21 PM
I just wanted to post this as the information on one of the threads is apparently wrong. I read that I would need 6.9 qts on my 05 Cavalier with the 4 spd auto transmission.

Well imagine my choice of words when upon dumping in the 5th quart & seeing 1/2 of it running on the ground from the plug.

I quickly put the plug back but obviously this erroneous information needs to be corrected.

Re: Ecotec transmission fluid change
Saturday, April 04, 2015 5:43 PM
Jeff E wrote:I just wanted to post this as the information on one of the threads is apparently wrong. I read that I would need 6.9 qts on my 05 Cavalier with the 4 spd auto transmission.

Well imagine my choice of words when upon dumping in the 5th quart & seeing 1/2 of it running on the ground from the plug.

I quickly put the plug back but obviously this erroneous information needs to be corrected.

Pretty sure the trans holds 9.5qts if doing a complete rebuild. Doing a flush and a torque converter is about 7qts. Just drainging the pan will probably be around 4-5qts. When doing drain I always drain it into a pan with measuring marks so I know about how much it needs put back in.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Saturday, April 04, 2015 7:14 PM
well I have an '04 ecotec with 4 speed automatic. I called Advance auto parts and they claim that to change the filter
I will need 6.9 quarts. He asked me if I'm draining the torque converter and I said no, just changing the filter, and he
said 6.9 quarts.

Are they wrong?
Is the '04 and '05 the same?
Sunday, April 05, 2015 12:18 AM
All 4 speeds are the same.

Sunday, April 05, 2015 11:43 AM
Then what went wrong?
they're also telling me to use 6.9 quarts
Sunday, April 05, 2015 3:51 PM
Did you drain the fluid with the front and rear of the vehicle level? The car must be level when draining the fluid. Also you have to check the fluid level with the car running as you can not possibly fill it full without it off.

Your text to link here...

Monday, April 06, 2015 7:21 PM
You can't check the level on mine, it has no dipstick.
But are you saying to add the 6.9 quarts with the motor running?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search