Replace A/c clutch or whole compressor? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Replace A/c clutch or whole compressor?
Tuesday, April 07, 2015 6:13 AM
2000 Cavi, 2.2

Well, the a/c clutch in the Cavi has gone bad. The usual metallic spinning sound is what happens if I run the engine with the A/c off.

So after watching a youtube video on clutch replacement on a GM a/c compressor, it looks like a real hassle.

My question is....

Should I just replace the entire compressor with a new clutch? Or is it worth it to replace the clutch only?

BTW AC service is something I prefer to pay someone to do so a shop is going to do this either way I go.

Thanks in advance

Ipud wrote:We put Jap Traps on cinder blocks around here. We don't wave the American flag for novelty

I proudly own American cars, nothing else....

Re: Replace A/c clutch or whole compressor?
Friday, April 10, 2015 3:53 PM
I just took the AC compressor off our '97 2.4 & have done an ecotec. Both were pretty easy as far as getting em off the block. The 2.2 looks the same. You should be able to drop it down & use the tool to get the clutch off. This is assuming it comes of without issues. Put it back & your done.

If you do the whole compressor its still pretty straight forward. Disconnect thr rear line & drop it out. You just have to vent the Freon or have a shop take it out. The accumulator is up top & easy to get to.

A quick search looks like the whole compressor is going to be $200. I did not find much on the clutch but what I did was $150. With the price that close Id go with a whole new compressor. A shop here wants $300 labor to do the compressor & accumulator. Then looking at the upcharge for the parts your looking at an easy $600.

Guess Im just trying to talk you into DIY. Sorry.

In answer to your question from what I found Id go with replacing the compressor.
Re: Replace A/c clutch or whole compressor?
Sunday, April 26, 2015 8:12 PM
Ok thanks. Yea I got underneath and it looks accessable from there. I'll prolly just get an entire compressor while I'm at it. It doesn't seem logical to just replace the AC clutch and not the. compressor

Ipud wrote:We put Jap Traps on cinder blocks around here. We don't wave the American flag for novelty

I proudly own American cars, nothing else....

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search