Have to wiggle key to get cavalier to start - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Have to wiggle key to get cavalier to start
Sunday, April 12, 2015 8:55 PM
The car is a 2004 cavalier auto, 2.2 eco, and the key has to be wiggled quite a bit back and forth in order to finally go to the on position. I also noticed the steering column doesnt lock but im not sure thats related. It runs just fine, just a pain to find the sweet spot to get it to turn. Tried a new key cut from a local hardware store and that seemed to help slightly but not much.

Ive read a lot of info on cylinder lock replacements, keys cut to code, going to a locksmith, etc. but im not really sure where to start first. Obviously a dealer is going to bend me over on price, so would a locksmith do this? If so do they actually take the column apart and such or is this something I would have to pull out for them?

Thanks for any tips or advice!

Re: Have to wiggle key to get cavalier to start
Monday, April 13, 2015 9:35 AM
I had to replace the ignition cylinder on my '97 cavalier. I don't know if that's what you need though, because on my '97 the cylinder actually turns a knob on a module box that it fits into.

But here is a video for the cylinder replacement. Oh and the video is for cars in the 90's, but maybe other people will let you know
if it's similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk-vK1ioW7A
Monday, April 13, 2015 1:26 PM
I've talked to a few people that say the keys wear down pretty quick, or something. Another friend that has an 03 with 240k miles on his, and had the same thing happen. Said he used his brand new spare key and never a problem again.

I'm going to a locksmith after work today, they said they cut them to code, and would be "better" than a stock, or dealer cut key. We'll see. $35
Monday, April 13, 2015 4:17 PM
let us know how you fix it please
Monday, April 13, 2015 4:18 PM
Turns out its the key. Local locksmith code cut an original and made a few copies for $32 out the door. Turns over smoothly
Monday, April 13, 2015 7:35 PM
How can he make an original?
What do you need in order to do that, just your VIN code?
You don't need your key to make a new original?
Monday, April 13, 2015 7:40 PM
You know, im not exactly sure how the guy did it. I had the key, it was a copy of the original im thinking. He measured it and wrote down different things, then went on his computer and seemed to look up a code of some sort. Then went to grinding and said its better than an oem key. Worked out great.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search