Rod bearings.... - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Rod bearings....
Sunday, April 12, 2015 2:32 PM
Hello to the group. First time poster here. My wife drove her cavalier out of oil yesterday. It still runs well, but has what I suspect to be bottom end noise. I don't know if it is rod or main bearings, but one of the two is making a knocking sound. I'm going in through the bottom to look at the rod bearings first. Has anyone replaced them in the car that can give me any pointers. Naturally, if the crank appears scored, I will remove it and have it turned, but I am hoping to avoid that if at all possible. The engine only has just a hair over 100k on it, and should have otherwise been good for a lot longer. I'm just looking for suggestions or pointers. I'm mechanically inclined, and have done a good deal of work on various cars in the past, just not this 2.2, so I thought I would seek advice from any of you who may have been here before. Thanks in advance for any advice you may have!

Brent

Oh...duh... the car is an 04 base Cavalier.

Re: Rod bearings....
Sunday, April 12, 2015 4:05 PM
Brent Puryear wrote:Hello to the group. First time poster here. My wife drove her cavalier out of oil yesterday. It still runs well, but has what I suspect to be bottom end noise. I don't know if it is rod or main bearings, but one of the two is making a knocking sound. I'm going in through the bottom to look at the rod bearings first. Has anyone replaced them in the car that can give me any pointers. Naturally, if the crank appears scored, I will remove it and have it turned, but I am hoping to avoid that if at all possible. The engine only has just a hair over 100k on it, and should have otherwise been good for a lot longer. I'm just looking for suggestions or pointers. I'm mechanically inclined, and have done a good deal of work on various cars in the past, just not this 2.2, so I thought I would seek advice from any of you who may have been here before. Thanks in advance for any advice you may have!

Brent

Oh...duh... the car is an 04 base Cavalier.

You wont be able to get to the rod bearings without removing the girdle which is the lower part of the block. You need to pull the motor apart.

Better off getting another motor from a junkyard.

FU Tuning

Sunday, April 12, 2015 6:23 PM
Addicted to meth wrote:Better off getting another motor from a junkyard.

Came here to say this. Seems like you always beat me to it

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, April 15, 2015 4:56 PM
Ugh....ok, that's what I was afraid of. Thank you for your replies.
Thursday, April 16, 2015 12:33 AM
If you pull the engine you can tr it down pretty easily. You could rebuild the entire engine with all new parts for under $1,000 in parts and have a brand new engine. Unless you need machine work. These engines are so simple and easy to work on.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search