2003 EGR Delete (casting broken) - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2003 EGR Delete (casting broken)
Tuesday, April 14, 2015 4:09 AM
Hi guys, so to start off, i know the 2003 2.2L cavalier does not have an EGR, but instead it has a blanking plate where the EGR valve could go. Im looking on how to delete the blaking plate casting.

Long story short, I was chasing an exhaust leak and i found it to be the blanking plate, it only had one bolt in it when i found it, once i removed the other bolt,i noticed the bottom casting is broken at the bolt hole. i found some pictures online and drew a red line where the casting is broken.

now since i removed it, the exhaust leak has gotten worse and i need to find a way to seal it up. Im debating filling both holes with high temp JB weld for the time being or even JB weld the blanking plate on. I havent had a good chance to look at the exhaust but can i modify the header so it doesnt put exhaust into that part of the casting or is it routed internally?

i know the best way to fix it is to replace the head but currently that isnt an option.
Attachments
!ByIYb+wBGk~$(KGrHqIOKi!EwGqh(fNLBMQefqSNG!~~_35.JPG (30k)
6b00ztg.jpg (198k)

Re: 2003 EGR Delete (casting broken)
Tuesday, April 14, 2015 8:43 AM
You can not drill it out and trough bolt it?

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, April 14, 2015 8:48 AM
that could work, I guess i can just drill a hole in the blanking plate and thread a new hold between the two ports. never thought of that. I will give it a shot tonight and let you know how it goes
Thursday, April 16, 2015 10:58 AM
So.....

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, April 16, 2015 11:12 AM
so0o0o0o0o0o0o....i found the piece of casting that was broken off, it found its way into the rad fan and took the rad out. replaced the Rad and used JB Weld to put the piece back on. also used a bit of JB weld to seal up the blanking plate like a gasket, no more exhaust leak.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search