Transmission problem - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Transmission problem
Monday, April 20, 2015 11:24 PM
I'd like to start by saying, I'm not a total noob, just to transmissions and non F-bodies. xD
Anyway, bought a 97 Sunfire GT, 2.4 DOHC, M/T today. Cheap buy, guy wanted to get rid of it quick because the car has probs with 2nd gear, and I wanted to fix a trans for the sake of experience and resell FWIW or keep it around if it grows on me (initially figured the 2nd gear issue would be a gear or syncro or something to that nature).
On the way home 1 and 3 started grinding like 2nd if too much power was applied to the clutch plate. 4th and 5th were fine, just wanted to get back to the house and dismantle stuff, so I drove like grandma with the 1st 3 gears. A little further down the road, without warning (no sounds, extreme movement changes or anything of the nature), I lost all power to the wheels, and the trans was smoking. Had a distinct smell that I had never experienced. Couldnt place it.
Car starts fine, but theres just no power to the axle as if the clutch wasnt there at all. Didn't have the nerve to find the transmission fluid fill plug on the side of the highway. So I called AAA and had it towed. But by the time I got home it was nightfall.Been google searching for a few hours, collectively and between matches of MKX, and really cannot find anything that seems similar to my issue. I really like to have intel when starting a 1st time process on most anything, and that's what I seek from you today. I was able to find diagrams, but no specifics concerning diagnostics. I am hoping, though, I have to break it down and learn about the internals to fix it. Instead of having to replace the whole trans. 'Bout to put another engine (3rd and FINAL) in my camaro, I'm good on having to disassemble the engine bay and renting a hoist to lift something so I can unbolt something, and do all that again in reverse order. I probably would just resell as is because of the tedium.

Thank you all, in advance, for reading and for your assistance!
My questions are:
What model is the stock trans on a 97 Sunfire GT, 2.4 DOHC, with M/T? And from which manufacturer? Cannot find this anywhere
If you have had the experience explained above, and successfully diagnosed and repaired the issue. What did you replace?
Advice is appreciated as well. If you wish to share your wisdom, I would gladly accept it.

Re: Transmission problem
Tuesday, April 21, 2015 12:17 AM
Apologies for the double post -.- Forgot possible important info. Pretty sure my post is 1st currently so i didn't 'bump' and cant find the edit button, hence, I'll guess this is ok.
Edit: I did not feel the grinding from the inside of the car. Not sure if it's the difference between my other car or not, but 1-3 seemed kinda weak. I tried giving it more throttle, in gear, to enhance my "get up & go" and thats when 1 & 3 started grinding also. 4 & 5 never did, but the car did lose all power to the wheel in 5th and coasted to a stop as if the clutch was perma-down.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search