Blown Struts...what now? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Blown Struts...what now?
Wednesday, April 29, 2015 10:12 AM
I have a 5 speed 04 coupe lowered on HP Blues with Tenzo R springs. I completely prepped the car for sale back in December and then a family friend fell on hard times, so i let him use the car for a few months. I just got it back the other day with blown rear struts, that literally went on back in November 2014 before i handed the car over. The struts have less than 6k miles on them and they were brand new out of the box. Should i assume "user error" and replace them with another set of HP Blues, or should i look into something else for the rear? I plan on driving the car once or twice a week until it sells, but other than that, it will sit. The Tenzo R GF2 springs are rated for approx 1.8" but probably settled closer to "2 as they were also on my previous cavalier for 6 years. Suggestions aside from coilovers? I assume my only options at this point are koni yellows, dspecs, or coilovers correct?

Re: Blown Struts...what now?
Wednesday, April 29, 2015 10:22 AM
Kyb-agx may be cheaper option.

I had them with sport lines and it rode fine. Drop I think was 2". I actually scored the whole suspension for $100 out of a junkyard.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Wednesday, April 29, 2015 10:54 PM
There's no point changing ur springs. I've got ground control coilovers and only dropped bout 2" unless ur spring rate is causing the blowout but gc's will set u bk bout 480. I'm running kyb agx with no issues with them so far (bout 3 months use) cept for a clunk but think it's something to do with the mounting. Anyways those will set u bk bout 800 for the struts

ReD RaiN
Thursday, April 30, 2015 9:58 AM
i thought about the AGXs before, but almost everything ive read on here says they cannot handle a drop like that for very long. If i can get 6 months out of them, id be fine with that. Should i go with AGXs all around, or can i get away with the HP blues up front and AGXs in the rear? Thank you in advance for the responses...
Thursday, April 30, 2015 9:18 PM
Yea koni yellows ur best option for these cars/drops but so far no complaints on my setup. And yes u could run one set in front and bk with no issue but wouldn't recommend mixing them any other way

ReD RaiN
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search