Argh! I'm an idiot! advice needed.. - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Argh! I'm an idiot! advice needed..
Monday, May 04, 2015 7:14 PM
Hello all,

So I am in the middle of a head gasket swap and am in need of guidance on what to do next. I removed the head, got it pressure checked, machined flat, etc.. Also purchased new gasket set as well as head bolts.

I put it all together, set my torque wrench to 43 ft/lbs, and start tightening in sequence. I tighten, and tighten and tighten... only to realize that I was using my torque wrench wrong and had WAYYY over tightened the head bolts. (derp)

So my question is: what should I do next? I figure these are my options

1. Leave it as is and hope for the best
2. Get another new set of head bolts, torque to proper spec
3. New head bolts, new gasket
4. New head bolts, new gasket, take it to machine shop and get it re-checked for flatness

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Re: Argh! I'm an idiot! advice needed..
Monday, May 04, 2015 8:22 PM
Oh, in case you were wondering. It's a 2002 2200 OHV
Tuesday, May 05, 2015 4:53 AM
Im pretty sure I over tightened mine all the time. I reused the bolts a few times before I got arp studs too

Never one problem.

I'd run it if it were mine. But the right way is your number 4. I doubt you hurt it tho. The ln2 is a tough bitch.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Wednesday, May 06, 2015 11:23 AM
Well, I chose option 3...if it doesn't work after that I'm putting the Cavalier in the garbage
Wednesday, May 06, 2015 12:01 PM
option 2 is best

one concern is the threads in the block. I have seen one instance of over torque pulling the threads on the left rear (relative to the front of the engine)

dennis
Tuesday, May 19, 2015 11:29 PM
The dealer way overtorqued my bolts when they had to fix my blown headgasket..stretched the bolts quite a bit, everything was fine.

Don't buy from MANTAPART!!
There is no easy ways to get HP, no magic box or gizmo... And if you get more hp, there's no way to make your car still behave and sound like a stock one. More hp usually makes your car louder, more vibrations and harder to drive...but still people hope or think maby there's some magic way to have it all, comfort, stock sound and drive.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search