98 Sunfire Intrument Cluster - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
98 Sunfire Intrument Cluster
Wednesday, May 06, 2015 1:11 PM
1998 GTX Sunfire 2.2L 380,000km

Instrument Cluster Water Temp and Tach bottom out (fluctuate erratically) and ALL warning lights come on erratically, then return to normal .After several seconds, the process starts over again and eventually Temp and Tach as well as all warning light. stay in a malfunctioned state. Occasionally, this problem will correct itself but not always. Shutting off the car re-starting does not always fix problem. Speedometer and fuel gauge not affected. Mechanical odometer also not affected. Fuel pump,tank replaced a year ago. All fuses are GOOD, Neg on Battery has 4 awg wire to body. Will be replacing Groung on Battery tray this weekend.

Side note, Theft System warning light occasionally comes on, my key has no chip in it and starting car is not an issue except for throttle body problem( not associated with dash problem), warning light occasionally will remain on while operating the vehicle. Sometimes it comes on, sometimes it does not.

Searched internet but no difinitive answer to problem.

Would love some insight on to what could be causing this problem with Instrument cluster.

Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ron
Canada

Re: 98 Sunfire Intrument Cluster
Thursday, May 07, 2015 7:11 PM
My 97 had the same problem mine was the pink wire that goes down the steering column. Mine had the tilt set up so it would stretch the wire. Try moving the tilt if yours has it up and down and see if lights change.
Re: 98 Sunfire Intrument Cluster
Saturday, May 09, 2015 12:15 PM
thanks for hint, no tilt steering, but, at this point willing to try anything.
Hope to get more responses.........
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search