Bulletin 01-06-01-030A I have oil blowing by into my intake and pooling. Will this fix work - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Bulletin 01-06-01-030A I have oil blowing by into my intake and pooling. Will this fix work
Monday, May 18, 2015 4:29 PM
I will post the bulletin below. Basically I found quite a bit of oil pooled above my throttle body plate and signs of wet burn oil almost up to my air filter. I know the pcv which is built into the valve cover is not working properly There was also dried sediment causing the throttle plate to not fully close giving me a fast idle. I cleaned all the oil out a month ago when it was intermittently running rough and stalling when I first start it and run it for 5 mins (when its sucking in 1/4 quart of oil into intake) I pulled it apart again and there's oil everywhere again. Like 1/4 quart. I'm pretty sure its affecting the throttle plate and bogging the engine down intermittently when it does suck it. It only happens when you first start it and drive it and it clears up.

The Fix I want to know if will work. This is a 700$ 2001 pontiac sunfire 2.2L with 246000KM. Gm makes a newly designed valve cover and I'm not going to drop 150$ on it if I can fix it for under 20$. So that 90 deg elbow from the valve cover to the intake. I want to disconnect it from the intake and put a pcv valve on it and then a crank case ventilation filter on it. I'm wondering if that will work. I don't want to reconnect it to the intake if its going to continue to pump oil into it and bog my car when i first start it. I have no codes logged.

I'm thinking there should be a recall on this if it causes me to stall on the highway like it did twice.
Bulletin 01-06-01-030A

Higher than Expected Engine Oil Consumption (Replace Rocker Arm Cover) #01-06-01-030A - (04/24/2002)
Higher than Expected Engine Oil Consumption (Replace Rocker Arm Cover)
1998-2001 Chevrolet Cavalier

1998-2001 Pontiac Sunfire

1998-2001 Chevrolet and GMC S Truck Models

with 4 Cylinder 2.2L Engine (VINs 4, 5 - RPOs LN2, L43)

This bulletin is being revised to correct the warranty information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-06-01-030 (Section 06 - Engine).

Condition
Some owners may comment on higher than expected engine oil consumption, therefore, having to add oil between oil changes.

Important
For the LN2 and L43 engines, oil consumption greater than 1 quart (0.9 L) within 2000 miles (3200 km) is considered excessive. The oil consumption rate should be verified prior to repairs, as per Corporate Bulletin Number 01-06-01-011 dated March, 2001.

Cause
Two potential causes of high oil consumption have been identified:

The RTV seal between the stamped aluminum PCV baffle plate and the underside of the engine rocker cover may have deteriorated, allowing excessive oil mist to intrude into the PCV system.
The molded silicone intake manifold side gasket may have deteriorated at the PCV flow orifice, allowing excessive PCV gases to flow into the intake manifold.
Correction
Follow the guidelines listed under Oil Consumption Diagnosis in the Engine Mechanical section of the appropriate Service Manual, or in SI2000. If there are no other evident reasons for the concern (such as leaks), replace the rocker cover assembly with the new design cover, P/N 12570563, and replace the intake manifold side gasket with a new material gasket, P/N 12564499.

Parts Information
Part Number
Description
Qty

Cover, Vlv Rkr Arm (inc. Gasket)

Gasket, Int Manifold

Re: Bulletin 01-06-01-030A I have oil blowing by into my intake and pooling. Will this fix work
Monday, May 18, 2015 6:33 PM
So I just pulled apart the intake again and there wasn't that much oil. there was a very small pool that I could see past the throttle body plate when it was open. I cleaned everything and ran it with out that elbow on from the valve cover to the intake duct. It was pumping quite a bit of air out of the valve cover. I could say if i put an empty balloon on it would probably pop it in a minute.
Re: Bulletin 01-06-01-030A I have oil blowing by into my intake and pooling. Will this fix work
Wednesday, May 20, 2015 1:16 PM
I'd like info on excessive oil use for my 2000 Sunfire 2.2 vin 4 engine. It was just rebuilt, runs like a top with two exceptions

1. RPMS stumble at 4100
2. Though there's NO oil pools, smell or smoke, it is losing oil A LOT. Initially the oil tube did not seal - I replaced it. The problem remained. The only remaining parts of the original blown engine is intake manifold, valve cover, air intake box & fuel injectors. I get low oil indicator well below TSB mileage.

Any help out there!?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search