Rusted Frame ... to junk or not to junk? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Rusted Frame ... to junk or not to junk?
Tuesday, May 19, 2015 7:46 PM
Hey guys. New to the forum, though I've lurked a bit. I am seeking the wisdom of the j-body elders, please hear my desperate cries, is this thing junk or not?

96 Cavalier, beater with 178K, passed around the family (hence my attachment). Motor and tranny have been incredibly reliable on this bad boy. I'm replacing the fuel lines, brake lines, and fuel pump... BUT.

There is a lot of rust and rot underneath this thing. At first I thought.. 'hey its a unibody, it can handle it'. But ... have a look. My reading on this fine forum leads me to believe that this is not very safe to drive.

What do you guys think? Can she handle it? Are these areas incredible critical? It's high up on jacks and not falling off the frame, so there's that ...

Rear right wheel well/rail (it's gone):

Rear left wheel well/rail (better than right):

The middle/across bar that runs parallel to the the axle.. (not too shabby!).

Thanks in advance gentlemen! Let me know if we can save her... All hail the Cavalier!

Re: Rusted Frame ... to junk or not to junk?
Tuesday, May 19, 2015 11:19 PM
I would scrap it myself but.... depends, if you are replacing lines and the pump you might already be spending more then what you can get another cavalier in better condition for.

Don't buy from MANTAPART!!
There is no easy ways to get HP, no magic box or gizmo... And if you get more hp, there's no way to make your car still behave and sound like a stock one. More hp usually makes your car louder, more vibrations and harder to drive...but still people hope or think maby there's some magic way to have it all, comfort, stock sound and drive.
Wednesday, May 20, 2015 9:27 AM
Well, if everything worked out I would be at about $400, obviously my own labor is 'free'. I bought the Airtex gas pump for about 150, and the lines shouldn't be more than $200 (I was gonna have them made at the machine/hydraulic shop, as the special quick-connect fittings are all rotted away).

I'm thinking a better condition Cav. would run me $700 to 1K, plus I'd have to pay the taxes, new registration, etc.

I want to finish the job but my buddy, and my research here, are making me think that my stubbornness/brokeness is gonna put me behind the wheel of an unsafe vehicle. I'm here to sooth my conscience, haha.

What do you guys think about this suspicious crack here? This is what I am most worried about. I believe this may be a load bearing area ...

Then there's the body.... (I'm joking in this one but the rest of my thread is not ... unfortunately)

Saturday, May 30, 2015 4:29 PM
Just put new GM fuel pressure and return lines in my 01 that's only mildly cleaner than yours... $115, but I do get an employee discount
Saturday, May 30, 2015 11:37 PM
That right rear frame rail there don't look to safe, anything can be fixed, just keep in mind to keep everything squared. Also brake lines won't cost near 200, just did all mine plus flex lines for maybe 90 ish

ReD RaiN
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search