Operation: Frankencar | 1999 Sunfire SE and 2002 Sunfire SE | Transmission swap - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Operation: Frankencar | 1999 Sunfire SE and 2002 Sunfire SE | Transmission swap
Tuesday, May 26, 2015 11:12 AM
Hey all, I have some questions and hopefully will get answers and be able to document my progress here!

Here's the current status:

2002 Sunfire SE | 2.2 OHV (4-speed auto?)
-Cylinder head cracked
-Rear end damage
-Has PRND321 on the shift column.

This car has been with me for years. I have fixed it many times and it finally gave out catastrophically (external crack on cylinder head, couldn't weld it up). The transmission and body are still relatively good, but the trunk and frame are messed up in the rear from an accident involving a girl on her cell phone driving an 80's model Corolla (but I digress).

1999 Sunfire SE | 2.2 OHV (3-speed auto?)
-Front left fender and door damage
-Transmission issues
-Has PRND21 on the shift column.

Instead of buying a new cylinder head, which can be quite expensive, I found this car for $250.00 on Craigslist. It appears to have a blown transmission, but it does start and idle. Unless in park, the car can be rolled forward (even when in reverse). The car will not, under any circumstances, roll backward. The rear wheels are NOT seized (no brake issues), as I have jacked it up and spun the tires to make sure. The car will not move when you give her gas in ANY gear, that is, it cannot move under its own power in any way.

What I need to figure out before going any further:

What is wrong with the 1999's transmission?
Will the 2002's transmission bolt up to the 1999's engine?
Should I use the chassis from the 1999 or the 2002?
What other issues might I encounter when trying to make one running vehicle?

Any help is appreciated, guys!

AznPersuazn

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search