Gas peddle needs to be held down to 1k rpm to maintain engine - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Gas peddle needs to be held down to 1k rpm to maintain engine
Friday, June 05, 2015 6:48 PM
So recently I discovered a few problems such as the Iacv, car dying at complete stops and rough idling. I replaced the Iacv with a Delphi iacv from summit. However that didn't solve the problem, so I got a code scanner and retrieved 3 codes. P0507,P0113, & P0108

One pertains to the Iat which is probably dead, one is the evap system and then the last is about the idle air control.

I know it's not the Iacv as I literally just put it in yesterday, my gas cap was oddly loose despite it being a locking one. So I firmly put it in place and still nothing. Soooo could it be the VCPS? If so where is it located on a 97 2.2 ohv? Rear fenders or engine bay?

Though it could be a vacuum leak due to the brake booster but I cannot determine if that's the case without the car running. My starter is close to my header so is it possible the increased heat could fry it? Should I get a starter heat blanket? I'm betting on either a vacuum leak or the VCPS. What do you guys think?

Re: Gas peddle needs to be held down to 1k rpm to maintain engine
Friday, June 05, 2015 11:10 PM
My old 91 cav did the same thing, unplugged the tps and never had a problem. Didn't even notice much for gas consumption either. It's located on the engine near the back I believe on the 2.2

ReD RaiN
Saturday, June 06, 2015 12:47 PM
Well well other probable causes would cause this? My scanner isn't an in depth one. So far all that comes to mind is the VCPS, brake booster, a vacuum leak or fuel filter. I did have to replace my fuel line due to rust and I put on a fuel filter then but that was a year or two ago I believe. The filter could be clogged but I plan on getting a K&N filter here soon
Saturday, June 06, 2015 4:47 PM
You should check fuel pressure at the rail and make sure it's within spec. If you have a vacuum gauge, put that inline somewhere and measure the vacuum pressure in the system and make sure that's within spec.

If you had a more in-depth scanner, I'd suggest checking your long and short term fuel trim levels. That might narrow down whether it's a vacuum leak or something else.

-----
Mike

Saturday, June 06, 2015 7:59 PM
My scanner has a I/m section that says things like O2S ready HO2S not ready etc

It says EVAP Not ready. So should I take this as it saying the evap is the culprit? I have no idea where my fuel rails are either which I should by now but alas nope.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search