Headlight and interior light problems.Need help. - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Headlight and interior light problems.Need help.
Thursday, June 18, 2015 9:13 PM
I have two separate problems.

1)Last year I replaced my dimmer switch, because I couldn't get my headlights to switch to bright.Now I have the opposite problem.When I click the dimmer switch for dim lights,I loose all my headlights,including daytime running lights.I drove 60 miles home tonight blinding everyone in the rain.Should I replace the switch again, or replace the headlight relays?Where are the headlight relays?I hear them click under the dash, but I can't see them.My service manual doesn't give the location for the headlight relays.I've checked all the fuses.I had my electrical meter with me and did a road side test on the fuses.

2)What controls the auto dimming function of the interior overhead light?For years,my interior light has not worked.I have checked every fuse I can find, and replaced the bulbs and fuses, just for good measures.I have been told that I need to replace the electrical switch that is connected to the ignition key cylinder.I've also been told I need a body module, which my car doesn't have,or my service manual doesn't list it or show it on the wiring diagram.Another service center said I need to replace the relay for the interior light for everything to work again.I can't find that in my service manual, or wiring diagram.If there's a relay,where is it?

1998 Cavalier sedan base 2200 3 speed auto

Re: Headlight and interior light problems.Need help.
Friday, June 19, 2015 10:49 AM
I should add.My car is a 1998 Cavalier LS base model 2200 with 3 speed auto.It didn't even come with a radio.

I got the headlight problem fixed.It was a bad dimmer switch.

I am still trying to solve the interior light mystery.I have been tracing wires,check fuses,and bulbs.When I use the dash light dimmer to turn on the interior light,I get a click near the passenger side kick panel.I can't find a relay or anything in that area.

Wednesday, June 24, 2015 11:21 AM
Soooooo, I broke down and bought all thee factory service manuals, and still no closer to solving this problem.The manual references an interior dimming module, but I can't seem to locate it in the wiring diagrams.I surely haven't seen it in the car.

Thursday, June 25, 2015 12:28 AM
If I remember correctly, dome, horn and diagnostic port all run on the same circuit. Might help..

ReD RaiN
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search