Hissing, low idle, dash/headlights dim - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Hissing, low idle, dash/headlights dim
Friday, July 03, 2015 5:29 PM
So I'm having a problem with Shirley, my assumption is fuel rail, fuel pump or injectors. Here's what is happening: my normal idle is 1000-1100 rpms but now it idles low almost to the point of shutting off. Occasionally upon accelerating my dash lights(all of them) will flash & my radio will do the same & headlights will dim as if my car surged or struggling to get energy from the battery or alternator.

I recently not even three weeks past installed a new IACV, fuel filter(K&N), Taylor thunder sport 8mm spark plug wires & a new throttle position sensor. I also installed a 90 degree o2 sensor extender for my header with a NTK o2 sensor as well as NGK platinum spark plugs gapped at .60

So the hissing I am hearing is where my brake booster is located( I have a 97 2.2 ohv ls), which happens only when I press the gas pedal. When I let off bam no hissing. I am pretty sure that means a vacuum leak, correct?

Also I am hearing a whine like noise from the rear, which I believe is coming from the fuel pump. I have never heard it before so what do you guys think?

So to recap: it revs up to 6 when lightly accelerating, whine from fuel pump, all dash lights flash illuminate upon accelerating occasionally, headlights dim as dash lights flash illuminate, hissing sound coming from brake booster area(heard in cabin) only when accelerating, idles at about 600 or less and barely stays on.

Fuel pump? Fuel rails? Injectors? Coils? Canister purge valve solenoid? Battery/alternator? Ecu? Has my car done goofed?

I am not sure what else it could be, any help would be awesome.

Re: Hissing, low idle, dash/headlights dim
Friday, July 03, 2015 8:01 PM
I'd start with the vacuum leak at the brake booster and then go from there.

-----
Mike

Friday, July 03, 2015 9:38 PM
Is it difficult to remove the brake booster?
Monday, July 06, 2015 8:47 AM
You'll have to remove the brake master, but I think the booster is just attached to the firewall with a few bolts around its perimeter.

-----
Mike

Monday, July 06, 2015 10:51 AM
It's 4 bolts but know that it'll be rusted onto the firewall pretty good. Hopefully you have a decent pry bar.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, July 06, 2015 5:44 PM
Okay sounds like simple enough job, yeah I have a few of varying sizes plus a few cans of pn blaster. What about the master cylinder? Is there a way around it like can I simply unhook a few connections and unscrew a few bolts and push it aside or does it need to come out completely? Also will a brake flush/bleed be required afterwards?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search