2004 Cavalier 2.2L Ecotec, need help, radiator drain locaion? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2004 Cavalier 2.2L Ecotec, need help, radiator drain locaion?
Monday, July 06, 2015 8:24 AM
Hey y'all.

This is going to sound dumb, but I just had the front of my cavalier up and I cannot find the radiator drain plug/petcock location!!!

I looked on the lower left and lower right and it's not there anywhere that I can see.

Plus, I cannot even take off the lower radator hose on this car because both go into the TOP of the radiator.

I would like to flush my cooling system, but don't see how it would be possible if I can't find the radiator drain plug or worse yet, it does not have one!!

Any help would be apprecaited!

Thank you,
Greg

Re: 2004 Cavalier 2.2L Ecotec, need help, radiator drain locaion?
Monday, July 06, 2015 9:03 AM
I did more internet research, and found it. It's on the front side of the radiator, on the driver's side.

I know from reading other forums. you don't turn it all the way aroundd, it's a 1/4 turn deal, but when I turn mine to losen it left 1/4 turn, it does move, but no antifreeze comes out.

looks like I cannot drain and flush my cooling system unfortuantely which sucks!

Any help or suggestions on this new issue?

Thanks,
greg
Monday, July 06, 2015 10:47 AM
They are fragile, but you need to pull out on it while you turn the racket with a 1/4" extension stuck in it. It turns more like 1/2 way than a 1/4 turn. Once it pops out the coolant will blow all over the place. It's a mess no matter what you do.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, July 08, 2015 12:21 PM
I finally was able to get the flush done on Monday. My drain plug only turned 1/4 turn. ..then i had! pull out and very slightly wiggle it side to side while pulling out on it.

It did eventually pop out and out came all the coolant in a hurry. I would not turn it more than 1/4 turn or you could damage the plug or worse the radiator.

Feels good to have that completed now. I just got the car in may and had no idea when the system was last flushed. The old coolant looked good yet thankfully. It's when you let it go too long that it gets rust colored that the problems start
Wednesday, July 08, 2015 1:29 PM
Good to hear you got it done.

You won't see that beautiful dexcool/rust mix because the ecotec has an aluminum head and block. That's the only reason I'm keeping dexcool in my motor. Any gm iron block motor that I own gets swapped to the green ethylene glycol coolant real fast.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search