gas needle / sending unit question - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
gas needle / sending unit question
Friday, July 10, 2015 10:20 AM

Hey. I'm sure this general topic has been covered many times, but after searching, I didn't find the answer so forgive me.

Here's the deal. 2001 Cavalier 5-speed manual 2.2 191K......

The only problem I have had - which has happened maybe 4-5 times a year right after I have filled-up the tank over the years - and always just lasted one or two start-ups before it goes back to acting normally.........is that after filling up, the needle jumps all the way to the top (full) and then very very slowly drifts down and the "check gages" light comes on. Like I said - usually no big deal.
Fast forward to yesterday .......because of several variables through the course of ths past week, I ended up running my tank *WAY* lower than I normally ever would. Usually I fill up and rarely ever exceed 12 gallons pumped (into a 14.3 capacity tank). But yesterday it was over 13.5....meaning I had less than 1 gallon left. Because it had been so low, the "check gages" light had been on, but I thought that the needle was actually sitting below empty where it does if the engine is off. Didn't impact what I was doing or my plan to get gas....so filled up. That's when the problem that I described above -kept happening over and over and over even after many many attempts to make it go away by restarting the car. I gave up and I know that the tank is full, but this keeps happening every time I start the car now:

needle shoots straight to the top (full) - and then drifts down to below empty with the RED "check gages" light illuminated..

The reason I ask if the specifics of this particular problem. I've heard of either people who have it stuck at the top, no matter what - or stuck on empty, no matter what....but mine seems to be a slight variation. Wondering if anyone has had the same thing happen.

There is no way I would be able to afford having the labor done on dropping the tank, so I am really hoping it will fix itself like it has done in the past, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: gas needle / sending unit question
Friday, July 10, 2015 12:22 PM
Sounds like from now on you should just fill up every 250-300 miles and call it a day. I forget if the stock sending unit has a paddle or an actual float, but if it's a float yours has a leak and fills up, sinking it to the bottom.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Re: gas needle / sending unit question
Friday, July 10, 2015 10:08 PM
Not to discount the above thoughts,however I doubt GM used a copper or plastic hollow float on a 3rd gen.My 85 has the plastic pedal style float.I would think that the electrical on the fuel sender has some bad spots and the electrical is not conducting and therefore falling flat to empty even at any amount of fuel.The simple fix is replace the sending unit and I would do the pump at the same time and be done.I am no 3rd gen know it all just thinking from the overall mechanical side of the problem.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search