Ignition control module bad? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ignition control module bad?
Wednesday, July 15, 2015 2:56 PM
OK here is my story. About 6 months ago my 96 cav 2.2 starting running like crap. After diagnoses the 1-4 coil pack was bad so i changed it. Ever since then after it has warmed up when i accelerate it goes up in steps like its being bogged down, the rpm needle goes up and down just a hair as its winding up. Just the other day i decided to get another coil pack because of the price and usually they fail not far apart from each other but it didn't change. It has new delco plugs and wires but since it only does it when its warmed up i'm leaning towards the ICM. Have had CEL multiple misfires that started just days ago. Also put in a new fuel pump and filter about year ago so its not the fuel, i have check all the fuel components. Gonna get a used ICM from salvage yard for 20 tomorrow just wanted to get some other opinions.

Re: Ignition control module bad?
Thursday, July 16, 2015 7:59 PM
Just for the record it was the ICM that was causing the misfires. when running rough it was getting 18-20 mpg but i just went through a gallon of gas and got 25 mpg. Also took the ICM to oreilly's and had it tested but it kept passing, even after he ran the test 10 times it was not getting hot at all which is when it was messing up so it kept saying it was good. It pays off to diagnose everything before u start throwing parts at it, 20 bucks at a junk yard and got my car running cherry again.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search