unusual coolant leak - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
unusual coolant leak
Friday, July 17, 2015 1:51 AM
Ok... first off I have 95 2.2l ohv engine. I went to fill it with coolant and looked for leaks in the usual spots... all the hoses from front to back as well as the head egr gasket. OK so here is where it gets interesting. After a few minutes I noticed my overflow tank is emptying... I looked and saw a steady drip from under the car. I looked closer and found it. It was coming from a rubber boot out of the firewall near the passenger side. It is a 90* boot... I don't know what it is for... where it comes from.. anything.. all I know is I fill up the coolant tank and it all leaks out of there... any help or info would be appreciated. Thanks

Re: unusual coolant leak
Friday, July 17, 2015 6:30 AM
That is your heater core. It is a small radiator that heats your car cabin when it's cold out side. Most auto parts stores will have the hose if cracked if not put on new hose clamp.
Friday, July 17, 2015 10:44 AM
I thought the two hoses that run through the firewall were for the heater core... those hoses aren't leaking.... looking at the firewall it's lower down and to the left almost right behind the ps pump.... it looks like a bigger 90 * spark plug boot... it's not got any hoses near or around it that looks like it fits in it.... is it possibly a drain for the heater core or will they just flood the floor like every other car.?
Friday, July 17, 2015 4:51 PM
Hmm I'll have to look at my 99 but I didn't have that. Yes heater core is 2 hoses. But if leaking just block it off better or if good at soldering, solder or pemently closed. Let me check my car but as of now not sure.
Friday, July 17, 2015 4:55 PM
After some thought it might be a heater box safety run off if so your heater corse shot. Try looping heater core hoses and bye pass heater core for temp fix. But I'm willing to bet it's your heater core leaking.
Friday, July 17, 2015 8:34 PM
That's what I was thinking.. but I figured it would soak the floor... although I never did run the heater... it was leaking without the engine running so maybe.... I guess I gotta get me some tubing and clamps.....
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search