Tranny fluid leak from lower radiator cooling line - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Tranny fluid leak from lower radiator cooling line
Friday, July 17, 2015 9:09 AM
I've developed a pretty good transmission leak on my '00 Cavalier, auto, 2.2L, about 104k. The coolant lines come together from Autozone. I've loosened the upper line going into the radiator and the 2 ends that go into the transmission itself. The only one I cannot break loose is the lower line where it comes out of the radiator (where the leak actually is). I've sprayed PB Blaster but that didn't do anything. Anyone ever change these lines? Below is a picture of that stubborn line. You can see the corrosion on it. I thought about putting heat on it but I'm afraid of combustibility of ATF. Any thoughts or suggestions??
Attachments
image.jpg (1990k)

Re: Tranny fluid leak from lower radiator cooling line
Friday, July 17, 2015 10:12 PM
Vice grips nice and tight would break it loose just make sure you let some penetrating oil sit there for a day or 2. I personally prefer 3 in 1 oil.
Saturday, July 18, 2015 5:00 AM
if you are replacing that hose, cut it off so you can get a socket on the fitting for a better grip. let the pb blaster soak for a day like anthony said. putting heat on it you risk melting the plastic tank.
Saturday, July 18, 2015 3:08 PM
Ok thanks. Do I risk breaking the metal piece loose that the fitting screws in to? It's had PB Blaster on it for 24 hours and I probably won't even get a chance to look at it again until Mon so hopefully that will help. What is the 3 in 1 oil??
Saturday, July 18, 2015 3:13 PM
3 in 1 oil has been around for ever and a day, my grandpa used that stuff with excellent results. Comes in a little tin can or it used to. Also before trying the vice grips try hammering on a junk socket on it that it the next size smaller, old backyard mechanics trick.
Tuesday, July 21, 2015 4:18 AM
Ok I managed to get the old cooling lines off and plan to install the new lines today. The problem is I don't know how much tranny fluid I lost during the course of this leak. There's marks on the driveway and the entire undercarriage looks like it's been under coated with oil from the leak. The tranny fill cap does not have a dipstick to indicate how low the level is. Can I just unscrew the drain plug near the passenger side half axle, level the car, start the engine and start pouring in ATF? When it gets to the point that the fluid is leaking out of the drain hole I am at the correct level? And I believe the ATF will pump through the system with the engine running and fill the 2 tranny cooling lines that have been replaced.
Sunday, July 26, 2015 4:10 PM
Put a piece of cardboard under it and when it starts coming out while the engine is at normal temp and running then it has enough.
Sunday, July 26, 2015 9:24 PM
Take the upper trans line off the radiator and put a hose on the end, start the car and let the fluid run in a container. Almost when its gone, 7 quarts, run 2 quarts through it to flush it out then refill. Its cheap, very simple and very good for the tranny.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search